TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: The Death and Resurrection of My XR-2  (Read 3500 times)

Surfnut

The Death and Resurrection of My XR-2
« on: February 07, 2010, 01:29:00 PM »

My '91 XR-2 was rotten when I bought it 3 or 4 years ago but I did a patch job on it, painted it and drove it anyway.  The car runs like a champ and I love it.  25 mpg city and up to 36 hwy and it's never let me down.  Everything works perfectly (except for 2 bad struts) but geez, even the A/C blows ice cold !  It's a great car.

About a month ago I'm sitting at a light and a police officer pulls up to my left.
He looks at me and points to the shoulder so I know I'm in trouble for something.

All my lights work I've got a stock muffler, no exhaust leaks, valid tags on my plates so I'm wondering what's going on ?

He decides the car is "Unsafe" because there is a hole in the driver's side fender :

I tell him I've got a new one to replace the rotten one but I have to wait for the warm weather to paint it.  (I don't have one a new fender but I'm hoping this will get me out of a ticket but no dice with this guy.)

I get a ticket AND an order to have the vehicle inspected to see if it's fit for the road.  Now I know I'm done.  As you'll see by this picture I took from in front of the passenger rear wheel:

This doesn't look too bad but there are 10" holes in the floors at both "A" pillars and the driver's side rocker panel is about 80% bondo.
Any hole anywhere on the body is automatic grounds for the mechanic to pull the plates.  You can't drive the car until the same mechanic certifies that the vehicle is safe for public roads.  Also, no chips/cracks in the windshield, all brakes have to be within specs, no CV joint boot rips, all tires have to be above the wear bars and show no uneven wear, etc, etc..

The poor car was rotten when I bought it and it's really bad now so long story short : That's the end of me driving this Capri.  

So I got to thinking.

This engine runs beautifully, trans is great.....since it can never be legally driven again and is bound for the junkyard, why I don't I use what I've got ?

Enter car number 2 :

It's a 1979 Kelmark GT.  Most Kelmarks were kit cars but this one is a very rare factory built original (guesstimates are about 40 factory built cars were made out of about 1200 total kits produced.)
This is the actual factory demo car that was used in ads from the late 70's and early '80s.  

The fiberglass body is on a '68 Beetle pan.  It has a very strong dual carb 2180 cc VW engine, runs like a bear and weighs in at 1750 lbs full of gas and all my tools/stereo etc.  It scoots along very well but to me it'll never be anything more than a pretty body with a loud sewing machine engine, crummy heat and a 4 speed that runs 3800 rpm at 65mph.
The handling is not fun with the engine hanging out behind the rear wheels but if you just want to go for a ride in a neat looking car, it'll do just fine.  However, I've always wanted a lot more.

Hesitantly, I stripped my poor Capri and got the entire drivetrain out (all the while cursing the cop!) :

The Kelmark is about 1000 lbs less than a stock XR-2.  Even with my new frame and the added weight of the XR-2 engine (and the rad etc..), I'd think I'll still be about 500 lbs less than your run-of-the-mill Capri.  Add some power to the mid-mounted engine and we might have a real screamer here...

By the end of this week I'll be ready to start on my engine cradle and frame.

What do you think ?

Dave

bryanknight

• 91 foxboy modified, 91 capri xr2 modified,
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2010, 02:17:00 PM »

dave thats seem like a great idea man and i know you dont want to here this but after seeing the underside of that xr2 my GOD that was not safe bro lol when you said the cop said unsafe because of a hole in the finder i was like what??? but now seeing the hole pic i think hes right lol keep the pics coming as u mold those two as one

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2010, 03:18:00 PM »

if you want another capri with no rust...let me know..

i think that thing should be pretty quick
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1990 240sx (SR20DET Swapped)
1992 240sx Convertible

CapriTypeR

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • http://Roo-Sport.com
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2010, 05:43:00 PM »

Awesome project!!   Good luck and keep us updated with lots of pictures!
Need parts?? Go to http://www.Roo-Sport.com
for the worlds largest selection
of new and used Capri parts!

Surfnut

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 12:40:00 PM »

Thanks for your encouraging words guys.

I haven't done anything this week because until today I've been really sick.  (And not just in the head like usual----sick like falling down sick...)

Today I finally got into the garage and cut the tops of the strut towers off after welding a brace between them.  The brace keeps the distance between them exact.  The entire drivetrain and wiring harness is out and tomorrow I plan on building a 4 wheel dolly to drop the engine and trans onto so I can move it around with ease.  Then the fun stuff starts.  

I have a line on some 1&3/4" stainless tubing that I'll be using for the coolant lines from the front mounted radiator to the mid-mounted engine.  I've also made arrangements to pick up some 1"x1", 1"x2" and 1"x3" rectangular tubing which will make up the bulk of my engine cradle.  I already have some 2"x3" which the main rails of the frame will be made of.  Additionally, there will be a space-frame type tubular mid-section running from the front suspension to the engine cradle.  The mid-section will be welded to the 2"x3" main rails.  All that stuff working together will significantly strengthen the entire structure.  Anyway, probably not a lot is going to get done this week but hopefully by the end of the week I'll have all the supplies I need.

The engine cradle will be fabbed up to include mounting points for the stock lower A-arms and, if everything goes as planned, those strut towers I mentioned will be reused as upper brackets for the struts to be bolted into.

One other question :  Is there a way to resize my photos so they fit the forum pages better ?  It's a pain to have to use the left and right arrow keys to move the viewing screen around to look at a huge photo.

Dave

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 01:14:00 PM »

How are you going to design your shifter? Curious because I've been toying with the idea of a mid-engine capri and thats one of the larger challenges I figured I'd have to overcome. Ideally one would use a cable-shift transmission such as the MTX75 out of many V6 fords. The rod-linkage makes throwing the Capri tranny back there tough. I've thought of a cable to rod style converter but I'm not sure if that'd work out. Whats your take?

Awesome project btw.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Surfnut

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 11:31:00 PM »

Hi Rocketman

It's a great pleasure to converse with you.  Your Capri "antics" have impressed me for years.  In my eyes you are truly a hard core hot rodder.

A mid-engine capri would be awesome.  I know that if I was to go "All-Ford" I would look into the Conour hi output engine and trans.  Apparently they really kick ass.  If you went all-out and built your own frame, I'd bet it would weigh nothing and the balance would be fantastic.  I was blown away by how light the body panels were on my Capri when I took it apart.  I've never had a hood off anything that I could hold up with one hand but the Capri is super-light (as far as production cars go).

My biggest concern is getting the Capri struts to fit under the Kelmark.  I think they will fit but if they don't I'll have to go to my backup plan of making upper A-arms and using coil over shocks - I really don't want to do that.

My second biggest concern is the shifter mechanism.  I'm going to do all I can to make a mechanical rod & pivot type linkage.  If I can't get that to work then I will use a 2-cable system like the manual-shift Fieros use.  I found a company on-line (I have it bookmarked somewhere) that custom makes what you need.  I know I'm not going to find anything in the junkyard because the Kelmark is a pretty big car and the distance from the shifter to the back of the trans is significantly longer than the same distance in a Fiero.

I'd prefer to make everything myself but I've concluded that I'm not going to waste a couple of weeks of my time screwing with a cable-shifting mechanism.  If need be, I'll part with some hard-earned-dough and just buy one and bolt it in.  However, I'm still going to try to make a mechanical rod/pivot system first.

After I get everything running and working properly, I'm going to do some engine tweaking and #1 on my list is a Rocketchip.  I hope you'll be able to set me up when the time comes !

Dave