TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: Problem with front end  (Read 3204 times)

mastrofrancesco

Problem with front end
« on: June 07, 2011, 06:37:00 AM »

Hi, long time reader first time posting. I've got a 93 xr2 with some noise coming from the front end and was wondering if any one  knows of a shop in north to central New Jersey that you can suggest that has some experience with the Capri.I would like to get it checked out to find out what is wrong.
  Thanks Frank

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Problem with front end
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 07:44:00 AM »

Can you describe the issue you are having? Under what conditions does it occur?

I'm in Eastern PA within easy travelling distance to north Jersey perhaps I can help
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
Problem with front end
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 10:25:00 AM »

It is the hamsters on crack.....
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1990 240sx (SR20DET Swapped)
1992 240sx Convertible

mastrofrancesco

Problem with front end
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 12:23:00 PM »

Hey Matt thanks for the offer, I might have to take you up on that. I get a "WHOMP,WHOMP,WHOMP" sound at lower mph and it pulls to the right at highway and lower speeds. I have already rotated the front tires to the back and the right rear blew out on me and I just noticed that the left rear has some odd wear, so I have been looking for tires but it seems 195 50 r15's are not so easy to find without ordering them and waiting a few days for them. Also I noticed that the pass. side strut bellow thing is all scrunched down and I hear some clanking from the front when going over a bump. This winter with all the big potholes has done some damage to my front end.
Thanks Frank

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
Problem with front end
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 12:49:00 PM »

Wheel bearings........Go see rocketman....You will save a bunch & get some good skills
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1992 240sx Convertible

mastrofrancesco

Problem with front end
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 01:14:00 PM »

O.k. Wheel bearings it is. While the front end is all apart should I also do the struts and sway bar links/bushings and maybe the timing belt/water pump? Anything else I haven't thought of? I've had the Capri for 2 yrs with no problems it only has 49,800 miles on it. I have read on here about how the half shafts wear out at about 50,000 miles or so, should I also do that as well? Matt would you be willing to help me out? I would pay you of course. I also got the taller fifth gear from Clay I was hoping to put that in as well. Boy that song was right one thing leads does lead to another. Thanks Gostlrs! Thanks Matt

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
Problem with front end
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 01:25:00 PM »

Lift the front and try to wiggle the wheels to see if the bearings got play.
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1992 240sx Convertible

mastrofrancesco

Problem with front end
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2011, 06:23:00 AM »

Hey Gostlrs thanks for your input. I just got some new tires which were not easy to find but while there I got the front end checked out and besides the endlinks and swaybar bushings being a little dry rotted it seems that its the front struts that are bad. So I got Gabriels for all four corners for $150 now just have to put them in. The wheel bearings are all tight and solid. After the struts I have to get the wheel alignment done and it should be o.k.
  Thanks again all.