TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: turbo's back  (Read 3239 times)

kelly270

• http://na
turbo's back
« on: July 21, 2010, 12:31:00 PM »

Thanks to all of you, the VJ-13 was sent out and rebuilt using the VJ-11 compressor and fan. It will be here tommorrow and installed this weekend. Question is: can I raise the boost???
this will not be the turbo I use on the other motor, the guys at Alamo Turbo's in Kent WA told me that I want to achieve the kind of horse power I am looking for, (between 240 and 260), will be a GT-28-54R. He told me that it is a dual ball bearing turbo, that will spool upwards of 22 lbs of boostall day with no problems. The cost was $1018.70. The good news was when he had the turbo apart he told me that the turbo looked like it had around 50,000 miles on it, which is what they told ,me the 323 motor had on it! I will stll take it apart and rering and new bearings in it, as well as all new gaskets and shit. Looking good! Bank account looking lonely.
92 XR2
soon to have a new heart

kelly270

turbo's back
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 01:33:00 PM »

Yeah, I completely forgot about the rocketchip being mapped for 16 psi. Matt, when are going to make some chips with a USB port????? Do you make the chips mapped for higher boost???? Gonna need one soon...
92 XR2
soon to have a new heart

JackRobot

turbo's back
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 04:45:00 PM »

If your going higher then that, might push the limits of even a modded ecu? unless you can get the maps that high? If your thinking about sinking that much money into the car, mega squirt or similar might be worth a look.

I plan on buying a rocketchip and running that before I put my mega squirt kit on just to make sure everything is working properly. But I'm not running my planned turbo yet since I have two good stock turbos to run while I get my manifold and turbo setup done.
1991 Mercury Capri XR2 - Project car
1991 Mercury Capri XR2 - Daily driver
1986.5 Nissan Hardbody project minitruck

kelly270

turbo's back
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 11:59:00 AM »

ditto-the one that was sent out will hang out with the motor that is presently in the car. I'm just kind of OCD and have been messing around with it since I bought it. the oil pressure wont really resond like I would like. I know about the faulty gauges that run stock in the cars, I put a different one in that was not electronic and it kind of works worse than the other one, lots of problems. Probobly nothing wrong to begin with. Some lifter noise, I put new lash adjusters in, ect. Shit the motor had just been gone over with new rings and bearings, when I bought it.  I just wanted to start with something that I know has less miles, being as though I am going to run a large turbo, and high boost. Also, there is a definate learning curve when  it comes to turbo charged motors. I am learning at a slow rate, cause I'm an old man, shit 52 this year! Always dealt with older muscle cars. Bought, and got running sweet, an 85 5.0 covert Gt mustang since I've bought the capri. I know what I want out of the capri, and will get it-mid 11's to low 12's will be cool!
I just enjoy driving a rare car, one you don't see at every other stop light. Let alone a modified one. So far, I have put every upgrade Ive been able to find on the car, the hybrid turbo will be a good one I hope. Cant wait till the other motor comes all the way together!
I saw the front seats yesterday, getting redone and they look amazing!! I'll take some pics and post them in a few days! I am still looking for a place to buy new carpet... Any leads??
92 XR2
soon to have a new heart

azgtx

• Old-Timer
turbo's back
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 02:23:00 PM »

Kelly...if that motor only has 50k on it why do you want to go into it. Just reseal it,new waterpump and T belt and tensioners, get the injectors cleaned and throw in some new sensors and call it good. 50k on a B6t is nothing. If you really want to go and spend some cash on it get the head redone and throw in a set of ARP head studs. The bottom end will be good. I think you will see when you do a compression/leakdown test. My .02  and what I would and have done. My GTX #1 has a low mile motor and it purrrrrs. Save yourself some cash and work.
Clay