TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: airbag flashing warning lite  (Read 4812 times)

LarryC

airbag flashing warning lite
« on: February 07, 2012, 01:19:00 PM »

I have a 91 XR2.  I read 'Steve's' advise on flashing airbag light on 'yahoo' capri discussion group.  He said most AB problems should be because bad modules. He added, capris have the same modules as fords.  Before removing my abm, I went to junk yard and got a module from 91 taurus. Today, I removed my module (not easy job) and found out it is not the same as the Ford's.  My abm says '1988 airbag', the ford taurus said '1991'. 'Steve was right about the bad modules, I can see the damage caused by leaking fliud on the circuit board. The taurus circuit board is slightly larger than the module from the capri, but the connectors look the same.

Question:  Will or can I damage anything if I try to connect the 91 ford module into my system?  Thank you again for reading.

rcdraco

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 02:12:00 PM »

Do it and find out.  Ford isn't one to reinvent the wheel.  Worst case scenario: Light stays on.  Best case: Light goes out.

I HIGHLY doubt the airbag would blow from putting a different module with the same plug in.  Heck even if it did, what's the worst you get, a white flag sticking out of your wheel that says, "BANG!".

LarryC

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2012, 06:23:00 AM »

I am so happy.  That damn airbag warning light is gone.  The 91 Ford Taurua module didnot work, the connecters looked the same, but not.  I went back to junk yards to look for similar looking modules  The only one that seem the same was from a 91 merc sable. Bought it and Connected it this morning, the warning light stood on for about 6 seconds, then went OFF. So happy, thank you

rcdraco

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2012, 06:38:00 AM »

Where is it located?  My light has been bugging me, maybe I can do the same and fix it easily.

LarryC

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2012, 07:33:00 AM »

Up and behind fuse box, blue box. Very hard to see when your head is under the dash.  You got to depress the cluth petal, to get a better view.  To remove the protective blue box, which has the module inside, two fuse box nuts should be removed, then push fuse box away.  That will give you enough room for your hand to get thru, the box is hanging and is locked in place by a couple of taps.  All I did was wriggle and pulled on the box and it loosened.  Once it dropped near position of fuse box, remove the connectors.  Two things to remember, 1) dis-connect negative on battery, and 2). Only Merc Sable, I got my off 91 sable, maybe 90or 92 too? I checked a lot of early 90s Ford models, the only one that is the same is the Sable. good luck and remove that tape

LarryC

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2012, 07:37:00 AM »

BTW, my local self serve junk yard charged me $7., each time.  The first time, i bought the Taurus module, it didnt work, then found the Sables.  I think $14. spent is well worth repairing system.