TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: Auto gearbox oil service  (Read 2115 times)

oz-fire

• TeamCapri Supporter
Auto gearbox oil service
« on: January 29, 2015, 04:19:12 PM »

Long-time mechanic Derek and I have drained and removed the "sump" of my 1994 Capri auto and are slightly puzzled by a brass drain plug on a adjoining "diff"-shaped housing. Obviously, if the "diff" shape contains extra auto fluid it would be nice to drain it out before we insert the new filter etc re-assemble and fill it .

Some "experts" talk about Diff oil, others talk about finding the level using the speedo entry.

My mate Derek is somewhat puzzled.

We could of course remove the brass "drain plug very slightly and feel the oil. Hopefully it will be auto fluid (there are 6.1 litres in the whole thing).

Oh well, another worry from an anxious first time Capri (200,000 km) owner.

Is it the end of the earth? Not quite.

Do I have a Capri Workshop Manual on line? Yes - but it is too helpful.

John Jennings

mitch1204

• 1991 Mercury Capri NA Auto/ 1994 Mercury Capri NA
Re: Auto gearbox oil service
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 11:03:41 PM »

You can go here and download most of the manual. The 1991 download seems to cover the most.

http://techcapri.home.comcast.net/~techcapri/

I did a country boy shade tree flush on mine. A little messy but effective. You need 4 gallon of tranny fluid, a good catch pan and about 2 feet of hose with the OD the same as the filter hole. If I remember correctly it was 5/8"  ID hose.

The first two gallon is used to flush the bad out of the torque converter and cooler. Then you clean up your mess, install your filter and gasket and then top her off. If it's an auto then you have a dipstick around the battery area. Too dark and cold for me to go look. :)

The manual is the one you pull the Speedo gear to check it's fluid level. Top of gear is the low mark and the line right above the top of the gear is the full mark.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 11:05:33 PM by mitch1204 »