TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: Best tranny fluid??  (Read 2870 times)

coco-customs

Best tranny fluid??
« on: July 12, 2009, 05:16:00 PM »

Im finishing up installing my motor and im about ready to fill'er with all the proper fluids. I was just wondering if anybodys using anything special in there manual tran's?? I know there kinda week when it comes to high powered motors so is there anything special I should use?? I was also wondering the same for motor oil. I see there was a older post about this but dident really see a good answer. . .whats good??
Not stoping till 300 WHP

David Young

• 1993 XR2
Best tranny fluid??
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2009, 02:41:00 AM »

I first tried 20W50 for engine oil.  The car ran great with it.  Quiet, no raps or pings.  One early crisp October morning reminded me that I had to change it to something a little better for the environment; it didn't want to turn over.  I changed the oil and filter this time I used synthetic 10W30.  I haven't had any trouble at all.  The car runs great and the oil pressure is better than ever.

David Young
1992 Capri XR2
1991 Capri NA Auto
David A. Young

CapriTypeR

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • http://Roo-Sport.com
Best tranny fluid??
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009, 03:54:00 AM »

I agree with Dave- go with synthetics! I recently changed ALL the fluids in ALL of our cars to Amsoil synthetics. Everything runs better (smoother). I even gained 5 MPG in my 05 Ram, just by changing the oil! I've been running Amsoil products in my Daughters 93 Capri N/A for almost 4 years, and haven't changed the oil in that whole time! We have the oil analyzed ($30) and checked for contaminants, then change the filter, add a quart, and we're done!
My "Super-Roo" uses all synthetic - coolant, oil, and trans. This past Tuesday, I lost my alternator belt, and needed to drive almost 20 miles with the water pump not spinning. I had NO issues!  I firmly believe the synthetic coolant kept the engine from overheating, while I raced back to my garage!

--Russ
Need parts?? Go to http://www.Roo-Sport.com
for the worlds largest selection
of new and used Capri parts!

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Best tranny fluid??
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 07:50:00 AM »

I've been running 80w90 in my manuals, they usually come filled with ATF as per the factory manual. There was a lot of debate on 323performance about it, and the conclusion was that ATF is too thin for most USA climates especially during the summer. You can do some research there all the info is available.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
Best tranny fluid??
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 07:59:00 PM »

i put used that mecron or something that autozone recommended. it feels a lot better. i would also go synthetic if you are starting new. i will do the same when and if i have to tear mine apart
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1990 240sx (SR20DET Swapped)
1992 240sx Convertible

rcicustoms

• Old-Timer
    • http://google
Best tranny fluid??
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009, 08:27:00 PM »

80/90 royal purple... any 80/90 weight is good...
talk to russ he can get amsoil fluids and they make good fluids...

you know its 8090 gear oil cuase it has that terrible aroma....

Gost- if you used mercon or dexron its ATF but thats fine its what ford puts in em...

im basically reinterating what rocket said.....

yall be good ....Joe

220hp@18psi

coco-customs

Best tranny fluid??
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2009, 03:53:00 AM »

Thanks alot for the info. I filled it with some synthetic 80/90. I think i'll just run normal oil in the motor untill I switch to the 16g. Thanks again!!
Not stoping till 300 WHP