TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: New head gasket and water pump engine rough idle and smoke?  (Read 1972 times)

rogers93xr2

New head gasket and water pump engine rough idle and smoke?
« on: April 06, 2011, 12:34:00 PM »

Hey guys i'm having a problem with my car and was hoping someone could help me diagnose it. So i put a new head gasket on my stock B6T aswell as water pump and thermostat because i put another head on the car due to a spark plug breaking in my previous head when i was changing them out. I put another B6T head from a motor that detonated on me a while back due to high boost and melted piston. Anywho, when i first started the car it ran fine for about 10min. until i revd the engine a few times it started heating up and smoking white smoke from the side of the block near the timing pulleys around where the water pump is at and started idling poorly sort of misfiring? anyone had this problem? Thanks
1993 Mercury Capri XR2
1998 Trans Am WS6
2009 Ford F-150 Super Crew

TC92xr2

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 02:06:00 PM »

The idle may be a vacuum leak, Mine did the same thing after i change my head gasket. Go over them again, follow the diagram on the hood and just make sure. I thought i had it, then rocket suggested i look it over, sure enough two were switched.

Now the white smoke, was this a brand new water pump and gasket?, and did you clean the seal area good before you applied it?, what does the smoke smell like?

rogers93xr2

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 02:19:00 PM »

Thanks for the info, so i just went over everything like you said and turns out what is smoking is belt, smells like burnt rubber when the belt gets hot. The water pump pulley is also getting really hot! i dont think its spinning like it should. The water pump and all are new and what i found is my distributor has a little pipe that looks like its missing a vacuum line, just gotta find out which one i crossed or forgot to put back in.
1993 Mercury Capri XR2
1998 Trans Am WS6
2009 Ford F-150 Super Crew