TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: Radiator Fan relay location and replacement  (Read 4287 times)

owent616

• 1991 Capri XR2
Radiator Fan relay location and replacement
« on: March 29, 2023, 12:19:50 PM »

My radiator fan I know it works I tested it by wiring straight to the battery. However it never turns on doesn't even spin when I turn the ignition like it used to do when I first bought the car. The car overheats by staying still but is fine as long as it keeps moving. Since the fan works what should I do to fix this problem because I live in a city where traffic is common so my engine can run very hot when I sit in traffic too long to the point where it starts to scare me. How can I fix this?

CapriManxr2

• 1991 Capri XR2
Re: Radiator Fan relay location and replacement
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2023, 01:36:17 PM »

I've been having problems with my fan as well. The switch (I believe it's the switch) is located on the driver's side of the car by the headlight in the engine bay. Mine had a rubber boot and was held up by a nut that was directly screwed onto a bolt in the engine bay. I don't believe it's your switch though, with my problems it was the temperature switch that is under the thermostat. It is plugged in with a black connector and a skinny wire. when I unplugged the temperature sensor I got the fan to run 100% of the time but the old timers say that that's not good for the wire harness or that fan. I would say it's that temp sensor that's by the thermostat. Anyone know how to insert images on these messages? It would make it easier to explain stuff.

EShepherd

• 1991 Capri XR2, 1991 Capri XR2 Rusted out Shell
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2023, 05:45:16 PM »

My radiator fan I know it works I tested it by wiring straight to the battery. However it never turns on doesn't even spin when I turn the ignition like it used to do when I first bought the car. The car overheats by staying still but is fine as long as it keeps moving. Since the fan works what should I do to fix this problem because I live in a city where traffic is common so my engine can run very hot when I sit in traffic too long to the point where it starts to scare me. How can I fix this?

Like the other fella said, the relay for the cooling fan is located right behind the bucket for the driver's headlamp. If you know how don't know how to test a relay, it's not too complicated and can be done with some spare wiring and a car battery. Youtube will help you. If the relay itself is fine, then I'd suspect the temperature sensor for the fan. That'd be the one that's threaded into the thermostat housing (next to the battery/distributor on the driver's side of the cylinder head, where the radiator hose goes into the engine). There is also I believe a 40A fuse for the fan on the little fuse block under the hood (also right by the battery). Check that first, although if it's blown, there's more than likely a reason it blew that you'll have to then find.

CapriManxr2

• 1991 Capri XR2
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2023, 09:26:49 AM »

I was looking at your other post where the radiator blew up on you. The same exact thing happened to me, the fan stopped running because the temp switch was broken and therefore didn't run at all. So when I was idling sitting still, the fan didn't run and just let the coolant climb, and one thing lead to another and BANG, the radiator blew on me. I'm not sure if you've found a new one but the one I used was an aluminum 3-row for ~$150 and it fits really well (only a little help from a mallet). https://www.ebay.com/itm/403624266320 That's what I used, one of the fan bolts doesn't fit but the three bolts holding it in seem to hold it just fine. https://www.ebay.com/itm/133311970697 That's the temperature switch that I got to fix my fan issue.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2023, 10:00:59 AM by CapriManxr2 »

owent616

• 1991 Capri XR2
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2023, 11:38:45 AM »

Where was the coolant temp located to fix the fan issue? I have a way of making my fan run and I am going to try to explain it, my fan will run when I keep the ac button pushed in and have the ac fan speed hovering over 1. My ac doesn't exactly work but it does I'm not sure why it does this but the ac light turns on when I hover it over ac fan speed 1 but it doesn't blow any air unless I choose the fan speed 3 or 4 However if I choose 3 or 4 for the air to flow it will only blow cold air for about 30 seconds then it goes away and the ac light turns off and it blows whatever temp the air is outside so my summer has been straight up hell. Im about to look around and see if this is a common problem and I even tried to replace the ac control cluster but I got lazy and never did it bc I couldn't figure out how to get the radio out.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2023, 09:09:30 AM »

The fan switch is on the thermostat housing. The fan works with the A/C switch is just part of the A/C system.
Jack Byrd

9193CapriXR2

• 1991 Capri XR2, 1993 Capri XR2, 2006 Range Rover
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2023, 11:07:27 AM »

Ditto to the poster above me.  The cooling temperature sensor is in the corner of the cylinder head.  The cooling fan sensor is threaded into the thermostat housing with a single spade connector.