TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: XR2 Questions for the Experts: Oil Cooler, gauges, etc?  (Read 2110 times)

shoeish

XR2 Questions for the Experts: Oil Cooler, gauges, etc?
« on: January 21, 2011, 04:16:00 AM »

Questions for the experts:

1.  How to plumb in an engine oil cooler?

2.  Where to put an oil temperature sending unit?

3.  Is a transmission cooler possible?

4.  Where can I put an aftermarket water temp sender unit?  I want to leave the factory one in place for the ECU.

5.  How do you know if your knock sensor is commanding the computer to retard the timing?  I know how to test it, but with the open exhaust I can't hear knock.  

6.  My factory boost gauge is slow reacting.  Any way to fix?

7.  How many miles can you go on a tank of fuel under hard driving?

8.  What failures should I expect at the track?

Thanks!

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2011, 04:38:00 AM »

1. You already have a factory oil cooler.

2. Not sure on oil temp sending unit. There are oil bosses all over the place to tap into though.

3. Yes, but its tough to do. Better combated with proper fluid. You need to install an electric pump to move the fluid as there is not a pump in the manual trans.

4. Anywhere on the thermostat housing. The ECU reads the sender on intake manifold for water temp, the two senders on the thermo housing are for gauge + fan. Drill/tap your own or replace the gauge sender

5. I haven't really messed much with the knockbox. Im guessing there is a way to tap the dataline it uses and output a knock event to an LED. It might be more worthwhile to invest in a standalone DIY style knock detector, they exist, if you're worried about it.

6. Ditch/ignore the factory boost gauge. Generally they're pretty inaccurate. ALWAYS get an aftermarket boost gauge

7. I used to avg 28mpg on a boosted but still "stock" XR2, but if you're really beating on it expect less

8. Avoid one-wheel wonders, these cars have weak diffs. There is an LSD available that eliminates that issue.

If you're really revving out the engine keep an eye on the alternator/water pump belt. These engines like to shred/throw them. Being that the water pump runs off it, its critical
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

shoeish

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2011, 05:15:00 AM »

Thanks for the response.

1.  I think I'll need a bigger and separate oil cooler than the factory one.  14-24 hours of racing at 5200ft above sea level in 90 degree heat is going to be grueling.

3.  Would you remove the two senders (reverse/neutral?) and pump through that?  Which synthetic fluid would you recommend?

6.  I bought a mechanical one.  That is how I noticed it was slow.  I was worried that I wasn't boosting and thought my turbo was screwed.

Will a 90-93 Miata Mass Air Flow Sensor (MAF) work with the capri?  I want an extra for the race.

Phillip

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2011, 07:40:00 PM »

I have a remote filter unit from one of the aftermarket suppliers that gives you extra volume of oil and a second oil filter which can be placed anywhere (bottom of the car) which will give you cooler oil. The biggest problem is the oil volume it gets dirty fast because of the turbo (heat) extra volume is the key.