TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: Xr2 Misfire  (Read 2783 times)

shoeish

Xr2 Misfire
« on: March 01, 2011, 04:46:00 AM »

My Capri has developed a miss.  What are some obvious things to look for?

I have disconnected the factory oil pressure sender and use an aftermarket gauge (does this affect the cpu?)  I have added an oil cooler.  The O2 Sensor is new from rockauto.com ($8!). The cap and rotor look okay.  I have relocated the battery with 0g wire.

The spark plug wires are new.  Plugs all look good.  Even at high idle it is missing.  You can see the miss on the timing light.

Thanks

TC92xr2

Xr2 Misfire
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 02:49:00 AM »

First things first, do a compression test on all 4 cylinders. If they all have compression check the spark of all plugs while you have them out.

You can also determine the exact cylinder by removing the spark plug boot with the car running, if you can tell you removed it then that cylinder should be fine. If no change in idle when you remove one, start with that cylinder.

If one does not have compression do what is called a "wet test" this involves pouring a little bit of oil in the cylinder hole (spark plug hole)and running the compression test again, if you have compression now, bad rings can be a cause;if still no compression you should be able to remove the coupler from the compression tester and hook it to an air compressor with about 25-30 lbs PSI to the line thread the line into the spark plug hole and put air threw it. If you hear air coming from intake, it's an intake valve, if you hear it coming from the exhaust, it's an exhaust valve, if it comes out of the oil filler cap you may have a bad head gasket.

shoeish

Xr2 Misfire
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 05:03:00 PM »

I have been working on the Capri again.

It still doesn't run quite right.  It starts and idles just fine.  Lots of unburnt fuel/blue smoke.

The compression checks out to 135/132/135/134 (the engine was not warmed up, so I think these are good numbers).

The timing is set at 12.

The spark plugs looked good and are gapped to .40.

Spraying WD40 around confirms NO intake leak.

Oil looks good.  Oil pressure awesome (on aftermarket gauge).  

Battery/Alt working great.

New coil/old coil no difference.

Cap/rotor no difference

Firing order...  can somebody confirm that #1 is closest to the belts?

It idles fine, just tons of fuel smelling smoke and never quite runs right.

What now?

newboyracer

Xr2 Misfire
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2011, 12:33:00 PM »

I had a miss on my 91 xr2 exactly as you were describing, I had on an afrtermarket msd iginition and that turned out to be the problem so I'd say test that out to be sure its not acting up. http://www.ehow.com/how_5485497_test-electronic-ignition-control-module.html Thats a good guide if you dont know how to test it.
Time is the greatest teacher, Unfortunatly it kills all it\\\'s students.

rcdraco

Xr2 Misfire
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2011, 02:13:00 PM »

Might be a stuck injector.  Not sure of how you test it, other then pulling a junk one and seeing if that fixes it on any of them.  If that's the culprit, I'd change the fuel filter and consider bench cleaning all the injectors.

shoeish

Xr2 Misfire
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2011, 12:05:00 PM »

I should have posted.  It was two things.  A dirty injector harness and then the intake cam was off a tooth.