TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: Check a Capri VJ14 Turbo  (Read 2338 times)

Shagdasty

Check a Capri VJ14 Turbo
« on: July 16, 2009, 07:02:00 AM »

Hi All, What is the best way to check a Capri VJ14 Turbo to be sure it is good to go so when I install it I can feel confident  that it will work right...
Thanks
Scott
1992 Capri XR-2
1991 Capri XR-2
1992 Capri n/a
2005 F150 Lariat Supercrew

Yuri

• Old-Timer
Check a Capri VJ14 Turbo
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 01:11:00 PM »

shaft play... if the shaft will move up and down or sideways it might be bad

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Check a Capri VJ14 Turbo
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 01:51:00 PM »

Grant's right. On the compressor side, grab the shaft with two fingers and check for play...some side to side is permissible, but anything that might feel excessive means its worn out. (might last for a bit but not long term) If the compressor wheels contact the housing then its definately worn out. There should be no in/out play.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Shagdasty

Check a Capri VJ14 Turbo
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009, 06:57:00 AM »

I've just taken the turbo apart enough to expose the exhaust side and wastegate, the shaft spins smoothly with no free play in it whatsoever on either side, compressor or turbine.  It looks great. Is the wastgate any big deal? I also wanted to ask Rocketman what does chipping the ECU Do and if he would sell me one and how much (I have a good core) I may want to chip it too. I hope I don't sound to much like a dork but I'm not sure what the diffrent pieces are called..       Thanks Scott
1992 Capri XR-2
1991 Capri XR-2
1992 Capri n/a
2005 F150 Lariat Supercrew

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Check a Capri VJ14 Turbo
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009, 07:57:00 AM »

The wastegate is a very big deal, the turbo cannot hold a stable boost level without it. But it does sound like you have a good turbo!

Chipping the ECU allows you to run higher boost levels for more power, without risking blowing your engine. The stock ECU stops adding fuel around 11psi, and running anything more boost is very dangerous to the engine (melting pistons ect) My chip will allow you to run up to 16psi to give you plenty of extra power and make your car feel like a totally new beast!

For price and other questions see here: www.werbatfik.com/ecu.htm
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"