TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: O Good!!  (Read 3507 times)

Benno77

O Good!!
« on: October 27, 2009, 09:05:00 PM »

So after scratching my head over the noise in my car i took it to a mechanic. The outcome... Need a rebuild of my gearbox.   :(  

Now i have taken my capri to a number of mechanics since then and have been quoted anywhere from $800 threw to $1800+++. I have hit the wreckers today talkin to around 12. the story is that to find a DOHC tranny for the car that doesnt have 3 million km's on clock is impossible and you still pay $500 for the ones that do.

So the question i have no is that $1000 is new engine territory, i have found a BPT 1.8L DOHC engine just near me with 80,000km on the clock for about $650 (thinkin i could talk him to 500ish). I am also able to source a tranny for a B6 for around the $200-$300 mark.

So my first question is what gearbox will fit on our B6 engine (as cheep is best haha) and secondly how much of a task is a engine swap of this nature. i am sure on of the teamcapri vets have done this swap.

I have some knowledge to a point but have a close mate that know a lot more thats willing to give me a hand. as for tools have a engine crane/block and tackle and most tools.

Thanks Benn

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
O Good!!
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2009, 06:08:00 AM »

Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1990 240sx (SR20DET Swapped)
1992 240sx Convertible

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
O Good!!
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2009, 05:29:00 PM »

You're going to need the turbo capri gearbox to mate to the BPT. The stock b6 series will not hold up to the power the BPT makes.

What engine do you have in your capri now?

The BPT will fit but its a hell of a tight fit. The passenger side framerail needs about 3/8 to 1/2" cut out of it to provide clearance for the pulleys and the belts. Proper way to do it is to cut & weld.

The fuel lines need some trickery to get them to work, the intake piping makes good friends with the master cylinder, really tight there.

Its not a swap for those that only have basic tools.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Benno77

O Good!!
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2009, 07:20:00 PM »

i have a 91 na. so just the b6 engine. with a dead or close to dead gear box hence the idea to change.

ok so what excactly will go over between the engines? i am thinkin if i am able to keep most things ie starter motor and such that i might give it a red hot go. or at least think about it.

If it isnt too much of a hasle could you just give me a breif run down on yours. as there isnt a load of info on net for a BP engine swap for a capri. or show me to a site that you know of that will help me out on my quest for knowledge.

cheers rocketman muchly appreciated if u can help

ben.