TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: Timing Belt  (Read 2749 times)

billibarou

Timing Belt
« on: January 03, 2012, 10:28:00 AM »

Well I finally got the exhaust done on my Capri a couple weeks ago and took it up to get the emissions test and it died getting off the freeway.  Well after doing some investigating the timing belt broke.  I removed the upper timing belt cover to have a look and it was laying there.  Anyone have tips on doing a timing belt on my car it's a 1991 NA?  I am naturally going to replace the water pump and I thought about replacing the alternator while I have it apart.  I am going to work on it a little at a time.

rcdraco

Timing Belt
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 11:38:00 AM »

Buy a complete timing kit, includes a tensioner and idler, and some include a new tensioner spring.  Last thing you want is one of those to fail on you after you fix it all.

And obviously get a helper to get the belts over the cam sprockets to get everything right.

billibarou

Timing Belt
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 10:13:00 AM »

When you say helper do mean something to lock the cams in place while I put the belt on?  I was thinking of using a couple crescent wrenches and a c-clamp...