TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: Rebuilt turbo  (Read 2026 times)

sterling94capri

Rebuilt turbo
« on: September 27, 2010, 01:09:00 PM »

So I've had my car a week or so,put about 100 miles on it. It still smokes some at start up and there is a little oil at the throttle body. We cleaned it out pretty well so i just wondered how long this usually takes to clear up or if I should worry about the turbo I had to have rebuilt TWICE!Thanks Rocky.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Rebuilt turbo
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 10:51:00 PM »

Did you clean out the intercooler? When the turbo blew on my first capri i literally drained almost a quart of oil out of the intercooler.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

sterling94capri

Rebuilt turbo
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2010, 12:28:00 AM »

Yes he cleaned out the intercooler. I noticed some oil in the coupling before the TB when I was installing new grommets yesterday. It didn't smoke just now when I started it up and I ran it hard yesterday to 8-9 lbs up to 85mph. Thanks Rocky.

David Young

• 1993 XR2
Rebuilt turbo
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2010, 07:02:00 AM »

Good afternoon everyone.  I obtained my 'Rocketchip' this past weekend and my MBC.  Everyone told me that I would need a BOV next.  I don't want anything to happen to my turbo by neglecting this.  Are the ones of eBay alright?  Can I see a couple of pictures of what it is supposed to look like?  Oh, and last but not least...I still have emissions in my area...will my car still pass?
David A. Young

bhazard

Rebuilt turbo
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2010, 07:10:00 AM »

My SSQV knockoff works great. I prefer the SSQV and similar times over the Greddy style because theres no need for adjustments.

Though in all honesty the BOV sound is getting kinda old and I may be looking into a recirculation fitting to run mine as a BPV instead. Theres a few benefits to this... such as less annoying BOV sound, no oil spraying out of it, and possibility for better performance and mpg because Im not venting metered air. Should give my festiva more sleeper appeal too.
93 Festiva L, lotsa miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, Rocketchip
Best ET 12.99, Best MPH 109.8, 22\\" slicks
88 T-bird Turbo Coupe, 182k miles, slightly modded, 14.71 @ 92.4mph 2.02 60\\\', end of the road

David Young

• 1993 XR2
Rebuilt turbo
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 04:16:00 AM »

PM sent.
David A. Young