TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: New car trouble  (Read 3104 times)

rcdraco

New car trouble
« on: March 05, 2012, 06:37:00 AM »

Recently my 1995 geo was totalled when a dumb person pulled out in front of me on a steep hill.  So as a replacement I bought a 1988 fiero 2.5L, was $900 and 100,000 miles on the clock so it was a good deal in my opinion.

Problem I'm having is that when the car gets near 1/2 a tank it starts stuttering, and stalls occasionally while driving.  When it gets to 1/2 a tank the car will start, but stalls almost immediately.  I've diagnosed it as fuel related, but I have a hard time trying to get any sort of tee in to check fuel pressure.

It has throttle body injection so it just has the single injector.  I added 5 gallons to it today, drove it around the block, bled the brakes and drove it about 1/2 a mile.  It had a stumble on the first trip, but cleared out immediately.  The car does seem low on power, but otherwise runs fine.

My question is, there is a fuel pressure regulator diaphragm that tends to go bad on these engines, would this seem to be the problem, or could it potentially be a bad fuel filter/pump?

EDIT: And before anyone says I could potentially have a problem with my fuel level gauge/sender.  The tank reads 1/2 and with the air cleaner off I do in fact smell and see the fuel being injected.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
New car trouble
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 08:27:00 AM »

I'm pretty well versed with the GM 60°V6 engines but not with the 4-cylinders.

The folks over at Pennocks Fiero forum might be able to answer your question better: http://www.fiero.nl/forum/

Was this the one listed on CL for a while, it had been sitting? FWIW the 4-cyl's are pretty down on power, the GT's had some balls though
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

rcdraco

New car trouble
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 09:42:00 AM »

Technically yes it has been sitting, the kid was in college at Lehigh and rarely drove it, but it did get use.  I'm suspecting it's the regulator, since the pump seems to be operating correctly.  I'll see if I can get a pressure gauge inline to check though.