TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: Convertible Tops  (Read 3629 times)

blee

Convertible Tops
« on: February 04, 2011, 11:46:00 AM »

I need to replace the top on my Capri. I have been looking around the internet at different prices. Has anyone had a good experience with a vendor? And did you do it yourself or is it a job that should be done by an upholstery shop? Thanks

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Convertible Tops
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 09:00:00 AM »

I bought mine at A&A Best online - got the cable kit with it too. Its doing pretty good for vinyl, going on 3 or 4 years now.

I did it myself - it took over 8 hours, and it wasnt quite perfect. If I had to do it again I'd probably take it somewhere to be done
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

blee

Convertible Tops
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 09:26:00 AM »

Great.. Thanks for the info

tellerx

Convertible Tops
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 08:50:00 PM »

I bought an inexpensive one on ebay from a vender that gets about 225.00 each that includes shipping.(199.00 + 25.00shp) then i used the instructions on the techcapri online manual took my time and did it on a hot day. Always check the condition of ur cables as u may have to buy those too. Here soon i will be doing my third top after the first it just seems to get easier. On ebay look for the cheapest vendor thats the vendor i got mine from and the only place so far. Also make sure u don't trim the top, even though the instructions will tell u that, i learned that the hard way. Make a weekend of it if u need to don't rush. i did it because i had quotes from 600-1000 dollars. After ur done u'll be glad u attempted urself.

blee

Convertible Tops
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 01:13:00 AM »

I have only had one quote and they wanted $850 to do it. That will definitely drive me towards doing it myself.  I will have to do some more checking around.  Thanks for the info

David Young

• 1993 XR2
Convertible Tops
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 08:59:00 AM »

Hey guys.  I am in South Western PA.  I found a shop that installed mine for just under $300.  I purchased it from somewhere else, and had them install it.  They did a beautiful job.  I have a total of $550 in it.  It is also a white top.  It turned out really nice.  This place is not to far from New Stanton, PA.
David A. Young

Nex813

Convertible Tops
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 04:16:00 PM »

Does the new tops come with those large cloth belts (seatbelt looking objects)? They were cut when I got this car at the back. The guy I bought this from said that someone broke into the car and you can see the distruction someone did to this top. Thankfully, I have a hardtop, but would like to have security that if I am out and it starts raining, I have the soft top to put up.

Thanks

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Convertible Tops
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 12:54:00 AM »

I think the cloth belts are part of the soft top frame itself.

I know Russ has some frames kicking around, if you are attending the MACG I will have tools & can assist with installing one
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"