TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: Convertible Tops  (Read 3844 times)

blee

Convertible Tops
« on: February 04, 2011, 11:46:00 AM »

I need to replace the top on my Capri. I have been looking around the internet at different prices. Has anyone had a good experience with a vendor? And did you do it yourself or is it a job that should be done by an upholstery shop? Thanks

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Convertible Tops
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 09:00:00 AM »

I bought mine at A&A Best online - got the cable kit with it too. Its doing pretty good for vinyl, going on 3 or 4 years now.

I did it myself - it took over 8 hours, and it wasnt quite perfect. If I had to do it again I'd probably take it somewhere to be done
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

blee

Convertible Tops
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 09:26:00 AM »

Great.. Thanks for the info

tellerx

Convertible Tops
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 08:50:00 PM »

I bought an inexpensive one on ebay from a vender that gets about 225.00 each that includes shipping.(199.00 + 25.00shp) then i used the instructions on the techcapri online manual took my time and did it on a hot day. Always check the condition of ur cables as u may have to buy those too. Here soon i will be doing my third top after the first it just seems to get easier. On ebay look for the cheapest vendor thats the vendor i got mine from and the only place so far. Also make sure u don't trim the top, even though the instructions will tell u that, i learned that the hard way. Make a weekend of it if u need to don't rush. i did it because i had quotes from 600-1000 dollars. After ur done u'll be glad u attempted urself.

blee

Convertible Tops
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2011, 01:13:00 AM »

I have only had one quote and they wanted $850 to do it. That will definitely drive me towards doing it myself.  I will have to do some more checking around.  Thanks for the info

David Young

• 1993 XR2
Convertible Tops
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 08:59:00 AM »

Hey guys.  I am in South Western PA.  I found a shop that installed mine for just under $300.  I purchased it from somewhere else, and had them install it.  They did a beautiful job.  I have a total of $550 in it.  It is also a white top.  It turned out really nice.  This place is not to far from New Stanton, PA.
David A. Young

Nex813

Convertible Tops
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 04:16:00 PM »

Does the new tops come with those large cloth belts (seatbelt looking objects)? They were cut when I got this car at the back. The guy I bought this from said that someone broke into the car and you can see the distruction someone did to this top. Thankfully, I have a hardtop, but would like to have security that if I am out and it starts raining, I have the soft top to put up.

Thanks

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Convertible Tops
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 12:54:00 AM »

I think the cloth belts are part of the soft top frame itself.

I know Russ has some frames kicking around, if you are attending the MACG I will have tools & can assist with installing one
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"