TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: I've got no compression!  (Read 1596 times)

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
I've got no compression!
« on: December 14, 2021, 09:22:04 AM »

After replacing the brake system and the fuel delivery system, I have my '93 XR2 driving and stopping. It goes like stink now, the problem is it won't start. On initial startup, I had soaked it a few days in Marvel Mystery Oil, spun it to get oil pressure up and was pleasantly surprised at how quickly it started.  Yeah, lots of smoke signals, but it fired right off. A couple of days later, it spun really fast and I figured it had broken the 30YO timing belt. Big surprise, no broken belt, just no compression. If you grind on it for a while and come back in a few minutes, you can get it to fire off on one cylinder, keep your foot in it and after a little, a second cylinder and so on. After it finally catches on, it runs like a bat out of hell.....sorry about that. The turbo kicks in in the low 2,000's. It runs good. Turn it off and it fires right up. Wait a couple of hours and start grinding again. My mechanic thinks the lifters are leaking down. My problem with that is no lifter tick, cranking or after it initially fires. I'm afraid it stuck rings. Anyone got any other ideas. Sorry for the long post.
Jack Byrd

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Re: I've got no compression!
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2021, 06:42:51 PM »

Have you or your mechanic run a compression check? The XR2 is very low on compression to begin with

Replaced fuel system - how old is the gas?
Could be sticky injectors too - give them a couple whacks with a hammer on a screwdriver while it's trying to crank and see if that helps

Smoke signals - what color smoke?
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2021, 09:11:51 AM »

It turns over really fast like a broken timing belt, I have two other XR2's and it is way faster than them.

New fuel pump, new gas, new injectors.

Smoke was from the Marvel Mystery Oil. No smoke after that cleared out.

Thanks.
Jack Byrd

EShepherd

• 1991 Capri XR2, 1991 Capri XR2 Rusted out Shell
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2022, 08:11:03 AM »

Have you done a compression test? If so, try doing a wet compression test. Just put a few drops of oil in the hole you are measuring before you crank it. If that fixes your compression, then I'd say the most likely issue after 30 years could be either valve(s) not sealing or rings not sealing. You could always do a leak-down test to know for sure. Either way, it sounds unfortunately like a pretty serious issue. On the other hand, if all it takes is pulling out four plugs, a few drops of oil, and installing a few plugs, and then she starts no problem. Well, that's the best theft deterrent I can come up with, eh? Its extra steps to drive the car, sure, but it wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me anyways

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2022, 08:18:25 AM »

Thanks for the info. This is an old thread and that is exactly what I did. After liberal applications of Marvel Mystery Oil, it worked loose and now it cranks right off and goes like stink. I can't believe how good an engine with 13K on it even after 20 years runs.
Jack Byrd