TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: Synthetic Oils  (Read 3565 times)

Hollis

Synthetic Oils
« on: June 11, 2010, 05:44:00 PM »

So today for the first time my capri has had synthetic oil. The owner before me religiously used reg oil in it. And I did switch it to gtx 2 months ago. But yesterday they had a sell on valvoline full synthetic oil and a k&n oil filter for 25 bucks so I took it. Idk maybe its just my imagination but my car seems to have a little more get up. Also seems to rev alot faster? And oil pressure (I know I know the gauges are poopy) has come up from 15-20 psi to 20-30psi. Just seems to run alot better. I'm pretty excited. I think within the next 2 weeks if I can get some money up I might pay rocketman a visit to get a chip  :D  and possibly get a boost controller.

Anyones thoughts on synthetic vs standard oil?
I know I read somewere turbocharged engines should have synthetic to begin with but I havent gotten around to switching oil out till today.

blue93

Synthetic Oils
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 02:41:00 AM »

Hollis -

I use sythetic in all my cars - old and new.  Never had a problem with it.  In my experience it actually makes oil changes last longer - the oil holds up for longer periods.

By longer, I mean 7,000 instead of 6,000.  You may think that a long time, but I have never bought into the 3000 mile oil change paradigm.  I think it is a scam to sell more oil.  Btw, the only cars I've ever owned that burned oil already burned it when I got them.

If you drive on dusty roads, you should change your oil more often, but always check your oil for color.  If it isn't dirty, don't change it at least until you've maxed out the mileage interval at which you change it.  Crankcase for crankcase, sythetic lasts longer in my experience than conventional oil.

In my '93 NA, the  use of synthetic oil seems to make that particular car run slightly quieter.  That would be my $0.02.
Mark
Stratosphere Blue \\\'93 NA 5sp
Dynamic White \\\'94 XR2
Camellia Red Pearl \\\'10 Subaru Forester 5sp

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
Synthetic Oils
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 09:25:00 AM »

Once i get all the leaks under control i will run synthetic.
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1990 240sx (SR20DET Swapped)
1992 240sx Convertible

kelly270

• http://na
Synthetic Oils
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 02:53:00 PM »

I ran full sync in mine and it ran terrible, non-exsistant oil pressure, lifter noise, oil burning when it never did before, ect...
Now I run a full viscousity oil, usually gtx 30 or 40 the last time. Keeps the pressure up, the lifters quiet, and doesn't use any oil.
 go figgur!
 of course the OD on mine reads 197,000 +
92 XR2
soon to have a new heart

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Synthetic Oils
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 04:35:00 PM »

On my old 1.6 I was running Mobil 1 "synthetic" for many thousands of miles with no issues. From ~142k to ~196k so a good chunk of miles. No leaks due to the oil itself.

I'd change it at 6 or 6.5k miles when it started to get real black, I'd also run the larger filter (Fram 7317 IIRC)

Just my 2¢
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Phillip

Synthetic Oils
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2010, 07:31:00 PM »

I run my oil until it starts to go dirty. with Dino goo it does this in about 5-750 miles. with synthetic it goes 3-4K. The turbo bakes the shit out of oil, cool down or not. I too have seen better pressure and it stays that way longer.

Hollis

Synthetic Oils
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2010, 11:38:00 PM »

Well with gtx in it my lifters were noisy. Now they are quite. Right before I changed it I noticed I burnt off 2q of oil. Thats whole reason I did the change. I realized I over filled it. Some reason I cant get a good reading with new oil on that car. Always seems low. So after a little fun on the highway my bay was full of oil from the filter. I need to make a catch can >.<

Ne ways. It seems to rev faster. Might be my imagination but it just seems to run better over all. Now that its has some color I can see were its at and its just a little too full. I heard that can cause problems with the oil pump??

Either way I like synthetic so far. Hopefully I dont burn oil. I added some Lucas pure synthetic oil stabilizer to see if there is ne difference. Probably nothing noticeable. But oil pressure has been up so I'm happy. Just scared me to see it at 15-20 psi. My jeep always ran near 60 psi.

kelly270

• http://na
Synthetic Oils
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010, 05:17:00 AM »

3.8 quarts, I beleive my manual says.
As with anything, stick to what works for you.
Its nice to get the input from the fellows though!!
92 XR2
soon to have a new heart

David Young

• 1993 XR2
Synthetic Oils
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2010, 08:07:00 AM »

i was using 20w50 in '92 XR2 and it got cold in early september, and it was hard to start, so I switched to synthetic and the oil pressure cam up, and the engine was just a quiet as with the 20w50.  i believe it ran better also.
David A. Young

bhazard

Synthetic Oils
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 01:48:00 PM »

Dude 20w50?! You live in PA not death valley!

20w50 is for wheezy old v8's that were built with loose tolerances. You use that nowadays and youre gonna be blowing out seals and crap. 15w40 MAX. And thats in the summer. 5w30 winter.
93 Festiva L, lotsa miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, Rocketchip
Best ET 12.99, Best MPH 109.8, 22\\" slicks
88 T-bird Turbo Coupe, 182k miles, slightly modded, 14.71 @ 92.4mph 2.02 60\\\', end of the road

Hollis

Synthetic Oils
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 10:26:00 PM »

20w50 sounded a bit... Well to much when I read that. I use 10w30 now. ANd I'm loving the way my cars running. Can't wait to throw some boost on this car. I'm selling parts off my geo so hopefully soon ill be getting a controller and possibly talking to rocketman  :D  
Not to sure yet. Had a bunch of stuff come up and I'm moving up into butler's area soon. So yeah moneys been short. To short. After some small mods all my extra cash is going towards a bp if I cant afford the bpt. But thats far away and I dont wanna get to ahead of myself.