TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: whats the best clutch out there  (Read 2024 times)

misterrendon

whats the best clutch out there
« on: June 17, 2011, 07:41:00 AM »

so i got a 91 xr2 with the ihi vj11/14 2 1/2 inch exhaust from the cat back hollowed out cat and a cone filter and boosting 10-11 psi but now when i really stomp on it i can never seem to get the clutch to catch all it does is slips i can  drive it normally and it nevers slips but as soon as that turbo kicks in really hard all it does is slip so im think about getting a new clutch kit but i dont wanna go with one of those 4 puck bull shit i want one thats gonna engage normally but can also handle some power and not slip
Fernando

misterrendon

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2011, 12:46:00 PM »

can any one help me with my question
Fernando

rcdraco

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2011, 04:20:00 PM »

At 9.5 psi my clutch doesn't slip or burn up, and far as I know it's an OE replacement clutch.  You have to accept the trade-off, the higher the torque you run the more expensive the clutch is and those 4 puck clutches are almost racing level units, but reading online, people seem to deal with them just fine as long as your cables and everything is adjusted correctly.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2011, 04:45:00 PM »

OEM clutches won't last long at elevated boost, and I made the mistake of putting in $60 OEM clutch once, it slipped from day 1. Had to replace it after 2 weeks.

At the moment, I am running a ACT Z62-HDSS - a SuperStreet full-face disk + heavy duty pressure plate. It does not even slip with my turbo 1.8 even with the grip of my AWD. Yes - it's an expensive clutch, but it holds really well.

A cheaper alternative is the ebay brand "XTR" - it's an OEM pressure plate that's been painted to look fancy, with a decent clutch disk. I ran an older version of one of these back in the day, and it held up fine.

I'd advise against a 4-puck unless your car will be race only, even a 6 puck will chatter a decent bit. I like my full face disk, it's peferctly streetable yet still good for almost 400hp.

My 2¢
-Rocket
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

lumbeepride

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2011, 11:13:00 PM »

gonna need a flywheel ..sheww..so you say go with a full face vs the puck? im gonna be pushing the 16 or 17 psi here soon and my clutch slips now at 11 if i shifting from 1st to 2nd hard.
lumbeepride, \\"trust the chief \\"