General > General

Getting to know the members

<< < (93/93)

Simon Courtney:
Hi everyone,

Finally got around to posting something.

Based in Australia. I have a '94 XR2 which I bought new.

I left it in storage for about 20 years while travelling and working overseas.

Overhauled the fuel system, brakes and hoses.

I now have it back on the road and it is my daily driver. Been fixing up other things as I go.

The pulleys on the alternator and water pump were worn and chewing fan belts so I replaced the water pump pulley and the alternator. The alt is horrible to replace on a RHD. I lost a lot of skin that day.

Just put a new canvass top on and repaired the heater. A heater is not essential in Queensland. But it stops the windows fogging in the rain.

As is typical, the plastic levers for the blend door had broken. Fortunately, all the pieces were still in the car.

The plastic parts can be repaired. A bit of superglue to hold them in place and then a few hot staples to make the join permanent. It stood up to hammering the pins back in place so it should last.

I'm not so confident with the push pull cable operating it. The existing cable had bent too far to bend back into position without breaking it.

I used a length of aluminium wire (sorry, aluminum) in the existing sheath to make a new cable. It's all I had. It works very smoothly. For now. But the metal may be a bit soft for repeated use.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a type of metal wire in case I need to make another cable?

The car is running well and is still fun to drive.

Cheers

Simon

greywolf27030:
Sounds like you have been on quite a trip there. I'm also trying to get on going that sat for 20 years. If yours starts you're way ahead of me. I congratulate you on saving the car. Does it have a turbo?

Simon Courtney:
It's a non-turbo.

Production had finished when I bought it. One of the few remaining on a dealer's yard.

I think I was lucky. The car was kept covered while I was overseas. So other than the fuel tank rusting out it was in quite good condition.

I found someone who reconditioned the tank.

Engine turned freely by hand.

So, mine is probably an easier project.

Having said that, I would have spent way more than what the car is worth. But I knew the car's history ... if that makes sense.

The more I drive it the better it seems to run.

So no regrets.

greywolf27030:
Good deal

9193CapriXR2:
Its been a while since I’ve seen this question so here it is.
1.Name --> Joshua
2.Location --> Baldwinsville, New York
3.Why did you buy your Capri/323 and what do you like best about it? Originally bought a 91 Capri base auto car brand new at a dealership.  Then upgraded to a non turbo manual model.  Then upgraded again to an XR2 Manual I found and had shipped from California which instill have with 41,000 original miles.  I then found a craigslist post with 2 1991 Capri XR2 cars (1 with a hardtop and stand) for $1000.  Parted put one that was too rusty to save and kept the other 1991 which I plan to heavily modify.

4.If money were no object, what would your dream car be?
Dream car for me would be my 1998 Dodge Dakota RT FULLY restored and race prepped.

5.What would you want a Capri to be if they start making it again? (i.e. soft top, retractable hard top, engine, etc.)
 If they were to start over on the Capri I would make it rear wheel drive like the Toyota MR2 and Miatta.  Power convertible top.  Ditch the useless rear seat.  Upgraded turbo amd clutch system, better designed shifter linkage and put fuel tank filler behind the license plate.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version