TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: 1991 Capri non-turbo: Engine power loss going into 3rd gear or above 2500RPM  (Read 1039 times)

capri_91

• 1991 Mercury Capri_non-turbo

Hello All

Having an issue when going into 3rd gear or above 2500RPM. Starts up normal with no engine light or any other warning indicators and warms up normal. Car engages into first and second gear normal until going above 2500 RPM or going into 3rd gear is when the engine hesitates and begins engine power loss or chokes when adding more gas throttle. Like if it goes into limp mode. So far, I have changed fuel filter and fuel pump thinking it would fix this issue but no luck.

Any ideas what may be the cause or what else to check...

Thanks! 

EShepherd

• 1991 Capri XR2, 1991 Capri XR2 Rusted out Shell

Hello All

Having an issue when going into 3rd gear or above 2500RPM. Starts up normal with no engine light or any other warning indicators and warms up normal. Car engages into first and second gear normal until going above 2500 RPM or going into 3rd gear is when the engine hesitates and begins engine power loss or chokes when adding more gas throttle. Like if it goes into limp mode. So far, I have changed fuel filter and fuel pump thinking it would fix this issue but no luck.

Any ideas what may be the cause or what else to check...

Thanks!

Any abnormal noises when this happens? Have you checked your air filter, and intake system? Visually inspect the filter element, VAF, and intake ducting for any obstructions. Check for vacuum leaks. Let the engine idle, the spray carb cleaner along any vacuum lines; if the RPM's rise, you found a vacuum leak. Check for boost leaks; you'll need to build a tool for this (it's easy). Just look up "boost leak testing" on YouTube. If none of these are problematic, I'd pull the spark plugs and check them out.

Let me know how all of these inspections go. If you make it this far and still haven't found your problem, I'd then try cleaning or replacing the fuel injectors. Barring that, I think the only other places you could be having issues are the coil pack, distributor, or engine; hopefully it turns out to be something more simple than that.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com

If it's a nonturbo, the aging plastic/rubber intake pipe that runs from the throttle to the VAF meter commonly cracks near the bellows and lets air in. A peculiar behaviour is when the engine is loaded in a specific way, causing it to move on it's mounts opening the crack up.

I'd pull the piece off and visually inspect it
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"