TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: tune-up parts?  (Read 3135 times)

bhazard

tune-up parts?
« on: January 27, 2009, 06:36:00 AM »

I will probably be taking possession of my dads 93 Xr2 when his plates expire in march. He bought the car for $1200 late in the fall and pretty much parked it. Doesnt really interest him. Its in decent shape, all original. But needs typical TLC.

What tuneup parts do you guys use? I noticed no motorcraft parts on rockauto so I was thinking maybe just NAPA Belden/Echlin ignition parts and NGK copper plugs? I wanna get this car running pretty good as its a little rough on the edges right now.
93 Festiva L, lotsa miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, Rocketchip
Best ET 12.99, Best MPH 109.8, 22\\" slicks
88 T-bird Turbo Coupe, 182k miles, slightly modded, 14.71 @ 92.4mph 2.02 60\\\', end of the road

Yuri

• Old-Timer
tune-up parts?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2009, 11:44:00 AM »

i like the ngk irridium ix plugs

1992xr2

tune-up parts?
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2009, 01:47:00 PM »

Go with NGK BKR7Es if you drive hard BKR8Es if you don't. I've had luck with advanced auto for the cap and rotor. Buy GOOD plug wires (magnecore or similar) cheap wires create all sorts of headaches.  Use a Mazda 323 GTX PCV valve FROM THE DEALER. part store replicas break under boost and can pressurize the crankcase, blow all of your oil seals then kill your engine to lack of oil, don't ask how I know.
\\\'90 Civic Si
Flat black, built vtec d16. Low 14s
Boost in the near future.

bhazard

tune-up parts?
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 04:54:00 AM »

What brand is the cap & rotor you use from advance?

I think I will be buying the V-powers rather than the iridiums. I kinda do a mix of hard and easy driving though. But probably more so easy. I cant really justify $10 each for a spark plug.

Earlier in the winter the car had a problem with not starting, and I found a bunch of corrosion inside the distributor, especially on the two wires inside with the spade terminals. I got them cleaned off and it ran, but still not quite 100%. So when I get the car the first thing its gonna get is a fresh tuneup.
93 Festiva L, lotsa miles, BP+T/G25MR swap, Rocketchip
Best ET 12.99, Best MPH 109.8, 22\\" slicks
88 T-bird Turbo Coupe, 182k miles, slightly modded, 14.71 @ 92.4mph 2.02 60\\\', end of the road