TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: an unfortunate exclusive club  (Read 3672 times)

Yuri

• Old-Timer
an unfortunate exclusive club
« on: October 08, 2009, 03:58:00 AM »

There is an exclusive club here, within TeamCapri. If you're in it, you know who you are. If you're not in it, you never want to be. This club-within-a-club sucks, it is one of the worst things that an owner of a Capri can be in. I am, of course, talking about the exclusive club of Capri owners who have had their car broken into. Several years ago I almost became a member, when someone knifed my soft top. I escaped becoming a member then, because the jackass who did that only wanted to cause me discomfort. That was only $20 to fix.

Today it cannot be avoided any longer. Last night, I had my car parked at my girlfriend's house because I was staying late to assist in a research paper she was doing for her Bio-Chemistry degree. On our way home from dinner, I had noted that it was getting cold outside, and that I should put the hard top on soon. For those of you that are not educated in literature, this is called foreshadowing. That night someone peeled a section of soft top away from car, and simply reached inside and unlocked the door. My locked glove box , after the handle had broken off, had been pried open simply with a screwdriver, breaking the locking mechanism. Inside of the glove box these dickless bastards took my iPod, my GPS and the faceplate to my Alpine radio. Now that they had the faceplate in their grasp, there was reason to steal the radio. They could have simply used the radio removal tool that was living inside the glove box, but they decided to do damage, and pry the radio out with all their might. I'm currently waiting for an officer to arrive so I can file a report, but don't fret... the three security cameras should have recorded the entire event. If they are caught, the will literally become... dickless bastards.

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 04:55:00 AM »

Hey Yuri!  Sorry to hear! As you have stated, all of us are just one A-hole away from joining that club. Hope you get some justice.  Gus

Yzzerdd

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 07:48:00 AM »

Damn, sorry to hear that. My sister's Capri was broken in to. Her 94 was parked outside a Dallas club, locked, and someone ripped a hole in the section of the top behind the door. Nothing valuable in the car, all they did was screw up a nice top.

My 91 has a new top, and I make sure not to keep anything terribly valuable in it. Seems I keep nothing valuable in, I never lock my doors. I'd much rather have someone take a few knick-knacks than shred my top. I mean, there IS a 1998 GPS, but it's not worth a $300 top.

When I do keep something valuable in my car, I keep it in the locked compartment where the convertible top stows. With the top up, I can fit a good amount of stuff in there. You've got to have a key to get in, no matter which of 3 ways you try. Besides, alot of car theives probably wouldn't even know to check there, and if they did, I could see them having a difficult time.

--Ryan

blue93

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2009, 11:25:00 AM »

Very sorry to hear about your break-ins - All. I once had my lock cored in Boston while I was in a nightclub.  The car was a '76 Chevette and it was 1984! There was nothing to steal except some cassettes I had of original music I'd recorded with my band (DAMMIT).  The only thing I can offer in hindsight is this:

I never lock any of my convertibles and I never leave anything in them that I care about.  If I care, I lock them in the trunk.  The CD player in each of my convertibles is worth less than $50.  Having said that, sometimes it happens that we fall victim to crime.  You won't get the opportunity to kill the perp, as much as you'd like to - all you can do is be prepared for the worst.

I guess my point is that it's a convertible.  If your car is unlocked and there is little inside to steal, then you at least get to keep your top intact.  I know that doesn't mean much right now, Yuri, but it might next time.

Mark
Stratosphere Blue '93 NA 5sp
Dynamic White '94 XR2
Radiant Red '90 LeBaron GT Vert 6 cyl 5sp and it’s FOR SALE NOW!
Frosty White '06 Vibe 5sp
Mark
Stratosphere Blue \\\'93 NA 5sp
Dynamic White \\\'94 XR2
Camellia Red Pearl \\\'10 Subaru Forester 5sp

Yuri

• Old-Timer
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2009, 11:59:00 AM »

what really sucks is that i spent 5 months picking out the perfect cd player for me when i bought it.  it was so nice. maybe i'll check out the local pawn shops, idk.

hard top is on now tho.  thinking of installing a remote sound system... nothing but a remote control in the front, all the goodies kept in the trunk

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2009, 12:31:00 PM »

had to be someone who lives near there....no one will waist time breaking in a car that they can see nothing. they knew u put those things in the glove box....search craigslist... i bet it shows up there. we had someone at work get their iphone stolen...they took the recall roster and started doing a search with phone numbers..boom..1 iphone and it was his...
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1990 240sx (SR20DET Swapped)
1992 240sx Convertible