TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: Engine rebuild kit with pistons?  (Read 2035 times)

supercowmoo3

• 1991 mercury capri n/a, 1984 vw rabbit diesel
Engine rebuild kit with pistons?
« on: July 17, 2015, 11:49:32 PM »

I don't think my engine needs them, but just in case does anyone know where to find a good set of affordable pistons for these engines? I've been looking around and I've found some kids but the only ones that have pistons are the expensive wiseco forged ones with h beam rods. Those would be great but I don't want to put a grand into my engine right now and maybe not ever lol. I plan to pull my engine for school this fall to rebuild. I'm looking for kits that have all the seals and gaskets and such which I believe I found on rock auto. I can find rings on their but not pistons. It rather not drop 500 dollars on just the forged pistons for this engine so if there are any oem (preferably turbo as I plan to put one on it not far after the rebuild) pistons that arn't ridiculously expensive please let me know where I can find them.

By the way it runs fine I'm just making sure I can find the pistons if I need them. Thanks alot guys

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Re: Engine rebuild kit with pistons?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2015, 10:59:47 AM »

Pistons are readily available. You may have to check under the 89-93 1.6L Mazda Miata though.

Why rebuild it? What's your compression like?
If it aint broke, don't fix it. These engines are well known to be reliable in the 250k+ range
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"