TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: Reliable Vinyl Top Repair Kit  (Read 2701 times)

mr_gr1mm

• 1991 Mercury Capri
Reliable Vinyl Top Repair Kit
« on: April 17, 2023, 04:12:29 PM »

Hey forum!

So my soft top has a pretty bad rip in it at one of the joints where it folds for storing into the compartment. I've never done a proper vinyl repair job so I'm just wondering what you all have used in the past to patch the vinyl top ( hopefully with good results ).

Thanks in advance!

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
Re: Reliable Vinyl Top Repair Kit
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2023, 08:47:48 AM »

Good luck with that. I've never seen it done successfully so am interested.
Jack Byrd

EShepherd

• 1991 Capri XR2, 1991 Capri XR2 Rusted out Shell
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2023, 05:06:41 AM »

When I was super young, my old man had a soft top foxbody mustang. At one point, someone ended up using a knife to cut open the top to steal some stuff out of the car. I distinctly remember him trying repeatedly to fix it unsuccessfully, before being forced to pay for a new top. From that day until the day he sold it, he always parked it with the roof open. He said he'd rather get a check from the insurance people than buy a third soft top. I also don't think they can really be repaired.

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2023, 07:38:59 AM »

I have actually used Gorilla tape on a plastic top. It lasts two to three months the best I remember.
Jack Byrd