Tech, Repairs, Upgrades > Aftermarket

Alternator Tensioner: Gauging interest

(1/2) > >>

Rocketman:
Hello all,

What are everyone's thoughts on a proper alternator tensioner?
The product would be an add-on to the existing alternator tensioner set up, adding a block with a long screw such as the one used to tension the power steering/ac belt.
This would eliminate the prybar/12mm wrench kung-fu process that many of us have finely honed over the years. Add tension with the screw, and then tighten down to set it.

I have not fully fleshed out the design yet, but figured I would ask for interest & input here.
I should be able to pull it off using most of the existing components, switching out some hardware and adding some pieces.
It may require a new bracket, in which case I will design a new bracket with longer throw as the stock setup is setup rather poorly and generally uses the last bit of available space.

Would this be an effort and time-saver? What would you budget for an item like this?
The cost is currently undetermined, but I will have an idea once a design is finished and prototype is made.

Thoughts? Is this a solution to a problem that doesnt exist? lol.

-Rocketman

greywolf27030:
Interesting.

Jack Byrd

jdp:
Seems to me that this is a solution to a problem that everyone puts up with because they have no other choice. There are posting weekly on the facebook group from people wrestling with the issue.  I have 3 capri's,so I am definitely interested. Just a swag, but I would consider $75-100 for a complete kit....bracket, belt, tension pulley.

Skunkwrkz:
I would like to do this as well. Sounds like it could be sold across several platforms as well. The 323 guys would eat this up I would think.

chrispoe:

--- Quote from: jdp on January 07, 2019, 07:01:50 PM ---Seems to me that this is a solution to a problem that everyone puts up with because they have no other choice. There are posting weekly on the facebook group from people wrestling with the issue.  I have 3 capri's,so I am definitely interested. Just a swag, but I would consider $75-100 for a complete kit....bracket, belt, tension pulley.

--- End quote ---

That would be an automatic belt tensioner setup.

What Rocketman is suggesting is a tensioner that's similar to what the Miata has.

Edit: Couldn't you just use the 2000-2005 Kia Rio bracket and its' longer top alternator bolt?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version