TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: alternator problem  (Read 4385 times)

aciddrop28

alternator problem
« on: August 10, 2009, 10:12:00 PM »

I got a new alternator and belt for my capri and now it squeals really loud and I can't figure out what the problem is. Its as tight as I can get it and that didnt help. Ive also tried 2 alternators and 2 belts and it still did it. I know its the alternator doing it because the pully gets really hot and dust comes off from it. someone once told me that replacement alternator pullys are wrong and you have to reuse the stock one? could this be the case? Please help! after this she is road worthy! thank you!
1991 mercury capri- being restored since May 2008

1984 Camaro- 3.73 rear, b&m short shifter

tony-p.

alternator problem
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 04:48:00 AM »

I recently had a similar exp. w/ my 94 xr2.  I bought a MASTER PRO (MBH) - Alternator And Water Pump Belt at Orielly's part #7355 http://www.oreillyauto.com/EW3/DisplayTheParts.do?exactItemNumberIndex=1&didSearchFor=7355&bid=1250005483525&cycleCount=3924 Your belt may be different depending on n/a or turbo, a/c and power steering. Be sure to check this.

My belt was doing exactly what you described. The problem was it wasn't tight enough although I thought it was as tight as it would go. I used this link as a guide: http://techcapri.com/PDF/Repair/Capri_SM_Drive_Belts_S03-05.pdf.  I loosened the adjusting bar bolt for the alternator to put the belt on.  After it was installed, by hand I moved the alternator towards the firewall as far as it would go.  Then I tightened the adjusting bar bolt enough where it was tight but I could still move the alternator little by little using a long flat head screwdriver and hammering the top of it like a chisel.  Holding it there with the screwdriver, I fully tightened the adjusting bar bolt.  On my car, the bolt is back almost as far as the adjust bar will let it.  I hope this helps.

aciddrop28

alternator problem
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 05:54:00 AM »

thank you. i will try this today. was yours slowly grinding the belt away? my whole engine is covered in dust from it.

tony-p.

alternator problem
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 07:25:00 AM »

I never let it run long enough to accumulate that much dust.  Before I tightened it, it squealed and there was a bit of smoke and dust coming off it.

Please let us know if this worked for you.

aciddrop28

alternator problem
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 08:43:00 AM »

yup. that did it. I didn't think I could get it that tight. it took some effort but but works   :D   unfortunately, now that the loud squealings gone Im pretty sure it has a knock. not good at all =[ Ive never heard it run without the squealing. you see I spent all last summer restoring it and am just now getting back to finishing it up.

tony-p.

alternator problem
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 08:51:00 AM »

I am glad I could help. Sorry, I can't help with the knock.  I'm am sure if you describe it one of our fellow members may be able to diagnois it.

aciddrop28

alternator problem
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 11:05:00 AM »

well, Its a bad lifter so looks like i got a weekends worth of work coming up in the next few weeks. anybody ever done this before?

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
alternator problem
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 12:32:00 PM »

Have you changed your oil? Running low? Sometimes a fresh oilchange can clear up noisy HLA's.

Are you going to clean them or replace them?

If you do end up replacing them, there is an upgraded version with larger oil inlet ports so they dont clog and gum up as easy.

Either way count on re-timing the engine, the cams will have to be removed. Setting the engine to TDC before starting the project may make it easier.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

aciddrop28

alternator problem
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2009, 12:39:00 PM »

I will try new oil. the oil was changed last summer when I was working on it but not since. i looked down in the filler hole and everythings covered in crap. I will probably end up replacing them if I cant get it to stop. what should I use to clean out the system?