TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: 93 runs and dies  (Read 2856 times)

jazzzrunner

• 93 Capri, Jeep Wrangler, Chrysler T&C
93 runs and dies
« on: June 12, 2014, 02:29:51 PM »

I have had my 93 capri for about a year.  When it is running I love it, but have had off and on fuel system problems.  I have changed the fuel pump, fuel presure regulater, plugs, wires, and distrubor cap, as well as the MAF. Every time I work on it runs better for a few weeks and then goes back to a similar problem. It will run fine and then will lose power or just cut off.  If I am driving at a good speed I can turn the key off and back on, pop the clutch and it takes off again for few minutes or miles and then will die again.  I can also turn it off and crank it back up again and will be fine for a while.  I am thinking ECU as the next step. Please help.

She is not pretty but she is fun to drive :), when she runs :(.  I just have to get the engine reliable then I will try to get her looking better.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Re: 93 runs and dies
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2014, 02:41:01 PM »

When she dies & you crank the engine, does the tachometer needle bounce? That would point to a problematic ignitor in the distributor ( a common problem) which will result in the loss of spark as well as fuel. (the ignitor itself is relatively inexpensive, the whole distributor is not)

There's a procedure for pulling codes via the check engine light - no scanner or tools needed, just a paperclip or jumper wire. When you pull the codes, do you get anything?

Welcome to TeamCapri hope we can get you sorted out & enjoying your car again soon :)
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Sceeter

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 08:53:49 AM »

Check for water in your gas I had the same symptoms pull fuel filter replaced, drain tank added dry gas an water free gas an was fine.

blueamber

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 10:34:10 AM »

Well, rocket, to be clear, a bouncing tach needle does not indicate a problematic ignitor, but the lack of bouncing would... I know, I say diagnostic stuff over and over again, why don't people just read my mind, I KNOW what I mean...  :P Chris

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 03:27:50 PM »

Yes you're right Chris! My thoughts don't always come out clearly anymore :D
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"