TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: Rocketchip - emissions  (Read 3073 times)

dennis

• TeamCapri Supporter
Rocketchip - emissions
« on: November 10, 2008, 12:54:00 PM »

Anyone know if the Rocketchip will have an effect on emissions.  They do an emissions test here in NY that simulates driving conditions and I'm  wondering is the Rocketchip could increase HC emissions.
Was 1991 NA but now 1994 XR2

Yuri

• Old-Timer
Rocketchip - emissions
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 04:32:00 PM »

mine passes, to be safe turn down the boost controller back to factory (6 psi)

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Rocketchip - emissions
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 04:42:00 PM »

Honestly I have not tested for emissions as they are not required in my area. Keeping the boost down should keep you safe. I have been trying more and more to include the stock chip with the ECU incase you need to revert back to stock for testing purposes, I have not always done this in the past. If you need a stock chip please let me know and I will get one out to you. If it was purchased recently check the inside cover of the ECU I may have taped it there in a protective housing.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

dennis

• TeamCapri Supporter
Rocketchip - emissions
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 12:29:00 PM »

Thanks for the reply. The Capri runs great so I was surprised when it failed. I may change the O2 sensor first and if that doesn't do it I'll swap the ECU.  Once I get the answer I'll post it here.

dennis

• TeamCapri Supporter
Rocketchip - emissions
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2008, 08:54:00 AM »

I replaced the O2 sensor and had it retested.  It now passes the NY emissions test.  The HC and NOx were high but within limits.  The CO was ok.  It would be interesting to have it tested with and without the rocketchip but I didn't do that.
The end result was that it did pass NY emissions test with the rocketchip installed.

94XR2

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Rocketchip - emissions
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2008, 10:25:00 AM »

Glad to hear it passed, thanks for the update. Is the test run at idle or do they put the car on a roller and test at a certain speed? At idle it should remain the same as a stock ECU.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

dennis

• TeamCapri Supporter
Rocketchip - emissions
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2008, 10:26:00 AM »

On Long Island they do an "enhanced emissions" test.  They run the car on rollers for 4 minutes while accelerating and decelerating.  I don't know what rpm they go up to or what gears they use and it seems to me it is dependent on the guy doing the driving.

They also do an idle test that includes running to car at 2400 rpm.

Next time I'm at the repair station I'll ask what rpm they go up to.