TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: white smoke  (Read 3288 times)

nepacapri

white smoke
« on: April 10, 2009, 01:33:00 PM »

Hey all, I have a 94 NA that sometime this winter started blowing white smoke at startup.  It smokes for 5-10 seconds and then stops, seems to smoke worse the colder it is, or the longer that the car has sat.  It did overheat last year when one of the hoses rotted, changed the hose and it seemed fine, it didn't start smoking until this winter.  I thought that a head gasket would smoke all the time.  I changed the oil and didn't see anything strange in it.  What do you think it might be??

CapriTypeR

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • http://Roo-Sport.com
white smoke
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2009, 01:44:00 PM »

Piston rings would be my guess!

--Russ
Need parts?? Go to http://www.Roo-Sport.com
for the worlds largest selection
of new and used Capri parts!

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
white smoke
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2009, 03:27:00 PM »

are you sure it is not just the condensation/steam? if it only does it when it is cold and not after it warms up i would think it may be that..
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1990 240sx (SR20DET Swapped)
1992 240sx Convertible

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer
white smoke
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2009, 07:13:00 PM »

Hey Guy! Could be head gasket starting to seep, kinda giving a warning of things to come. You have a block check done by your local mechanic. That will tell if exhaust gases are getting into cooling system.  Gus

D22A

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSZAQnluDNk&feature=related
white smoke
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2009, 11:09:00 AM »

hmmm thats a valve seals , because if its a rings it always smokes and burns lot of oil, valve seals smokes on cold engine before valves worm up and then valves worms up seals and seals sticks with valves
i do not drive capri enymore but i am still here and not going anywhere  
1996 MT 3000GT LS
1993 CAPRI n/a

Phillip

white smoke
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 03:49:00 PM »

If it's white smoke its coolant. If it’s blue its oil if its’ black its fuel. A head gasket beginning to go sounds right if it overheated.

annie151

white smoke
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2009, 10:20:00 AM »

my car started smoking like that as well.  It was white smoke with a hint of blue.  Found out it was the turbo.....

Phillip

white smoke
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2009, 02:21:00 PM »

One of the things you see in conventional OHV motors is a little smoke on star up. It's usually from bad valve stem seals when the motor sits for a time oil seeps in around from old hard seals. When you first start it has a lot of oil in the intake port or cylinder, it starts and burns off then appears not to be smoky. It will seem to use a little oil between changes.
The best way to check the health of the engine is to pull the plugs. If it's coolant the plugs will look new in the failing cylinder, it's getting a high pressure stem bath every time it fires. Oil will leave oily crud on the plug and fuel will leave carbon that will rub off for the most part. if it runs a little fat it will have little carbon and a whitish powdery part towards the electrode.