TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: Half Shaft / Inner CV Joint Disassembly  (Read 5136 times)

Surfnut

Half Shaft / Inner CV Joint Disassembly
« on: December 10, 2014, 04:46:41 PM »

Hi

This is the passenger side inner CV joint off my '91 XR2.  (Upper shaft with green inner CV joint):

Can anyone please tell me how to get the inner CV joint off the half shaft?  I tried beating the snot out of it with a ball peen hammer but it will NOT come off.  There's no way to secure the CV joint then push the half shaft out so I'm at a loss.

Here's another picture :

Thank you for any help you can give me,

Dave

azgtx

• Old-Timer
Re: Half Shaft / Inner CV Joint Disassembly
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 08:15:34 PM »

Wow...never had that problem. You need to put some pressure on the circlip to compress it a bit and then I use a 2x4 and a hammer and they pop off.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 10:29:16 PM »

You need a bigger hammer :)
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Surfnut

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2014, 12:02:15 PM »

You need a bigger hammer :)

that's what she said... :'(

I called around and the general consensus is that it isn't going to come apart without getting ruined.  One guy told me he has a machine that will pull it apart but a lot of times the top of the halfshaft pops off.  My only other options are cutting it apart or cutting the thick wire retainer that holds the big ball bearings in place.  Either way, I wreck what I've got.
So I think I'm just going to let this one go.   
I wanted to take it apart so I could see what the end of the half shaft looks like and see what kind of retaining ring or clip or whatever is in there.

This is what the new inner joint looks like :

Thanks guys!

Dave

azgtx

• Old-Timer
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2014, 06:42:18 PM »

Why wouldn't you just go and get a remaned axle and be done with all this?

Surfnut

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2014, 12:10:41 AM »

This is for my Kelmark /Karma XR 2 project.  I've mid-mounted the XR 2 drive train to drive the rear wheels.  My rear knuckles / uprights are 1995 T-Bird (as are my half shafts). 

Since I'm using the stock XR 2 transmission, I need to mess around with the T-Bird half shaft to mate with the XR 2 inner C.V. joints.  Once that happens, I'll have stock T Bird brakes, hubs, bearings, and outer C.V. joints and a stock XR 2 transmission.  The only custom piece will be the half shafts.
Custom stuff is cool - until it breaks in the middle of Oklahoma on a Sunday afternoon.  (Been there, done that... :(  )  So I try to stay with as many stock pieces as possible.

I wanted to disassemble the Capri inner C.V. joint and half shaft so I could do complete measurements on the half shaft and see how it's retained in the C.V. joint.

Dave

Sceeter

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2014, 08:44:09 AM »

You take a small screw driver pop the wire clip out, take the outer joint cover off then remove the clip off the shaft remove the inner ball piece, install the new parts, 15min. Ps you wount screw the wire clip up.   

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2014, 09:29:01 AM »

You take a small screw driver pop the wire clip out, take the outer joint cover off then remove the clip off the shaft remove the inner ball piece, install the new parts, 15min. Ps you wount screw the wire clip up.

That works for the inners on the N/A CV axles, the inner use a different tri-pot style joint. On the XR2 I believe they are true Constant Velocity joints (i forget the name of the style) on both sides, so access to the circlip is not possible.

It's just a circlip on there. They're usually much more stuck than the ones used to hold the axle into the transmission. I've had a few that were impossible to hammer apart. I'd throw it on your friends machine. Or make your own holding jig! You've got the skills! Like Clay says, holding constant tension on it while hammering will go a long way to getting it apart
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Surfnut

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2014, 10:24:34 AM »

Thanks guys.  Like Sceeter said, I removed the wire clip (without destroying it).  It had a split in it that I hadn't seen before so removing the clip was a breeze.  After that, everything came apart like nobody's business. 
Here are some pix for the next guy that needs to do it.

You can see the wire clip in this picture:

Here's the wire removed from the inner CV joint:

Next step is to remove the circlip:

Tap it with a hammer if it's a bit stuck.  It should come out really easily.

This is the driver's side shaft.

This is the end that slides into the transmission.  I got the axle out by using a crowbar and a good yank.

Thanks again!

Dave

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2014, 11:10:49 AM »

Thanks Surf, the pics make it look easy.  That was good luck on getting the axle out of the tranny.  I gave away a Festiva trans with a piece of axle sticking out of it because it couldn't be removed, even with the trans out of the car.

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd