TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: help me cool things down a bit..  (Read 4924 times)

rdrake

help me cool things down a bit..
« on: August 09, 2011, 12:41:00 PM »

Hey everyon I'm new here just picked up a 91 white xr2 in great shape with 127k on it and I noticed that it runs hot. Driving down high ways its fine but in town it gets hot enough where I'm uncomfortable to drive it. It don't blow any white smoke so not worried about a head basket but I noticed when I shut the car off and cycle key to the "ON" position fan is not kicking on and I've seen you guys talk about fans turning on and off... So I guess my questions are:

A- what o I do about the fan is there any after market fans out or is it common for the motor to burn out and just need replace?

B- what are some of the colder running plugs you guys have that your running?

C- is there any I guess "lower temp." Thermostats out there?

Any help would be great love the car just wanna keep it alive!

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2011, 01:04:00 PM »

Have you tried flushing the coolant system? These car do tend to run high up on the gauge. Proper operating temp is around 195°.

The fan will only come on when the fan switch tells it to. Often times when parking, the coolant temp will rise just enough to switch on the fan, so if you have the key in the RUN position the fan will turn on.

A. The stock cooling system is more than adequate. Make sure everything you have is in good operating condition before considering other options.

B. Spark plug temperature / heat range has nothing to do with engine temperature

C. There are but I don't recommend them. The 180 will not provide any heat in the winter, and the engine does not benefit from running any cooler.

Also, Welcome to TeamCapri! Hope this info helps. Hopefully you can take the trip down the NorthEast Meet this september  
-Rocket
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

rdrake

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2011, 01:17:00 PM »

Thank you sir, plugs weren't for the cooling system but I'm sure the car could benefit.. and the fan with car off in the position was not on when it spiked 250 any ideas... And on a side note got any ecu's ready for shipping along with j pipes and maf adapters? I hate seeing this thing use rubber hose for ic piping...

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 01:42:00 PM »

I'm going to guess your key might not have turned all the way to the run position? Not sure. Does the fan operate normally if you start the car and let it idle?

You won't need to change heat range until you are running well over 200hp, or if you switch to a high compression motor.

I have several ECU's in stock, and I am in the process of making another run of VAF adapters. Jpipes probably won't be available till the fall, I am working on some new tooling for the fittings on it.

rdrake

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 02:06:00 PM »

It was in that position because I turned the key as if I were to start the car but I didn't have the clutch pressed in so it didn't start. I got out and popped the hood to find the fan not running.. what would make it not run bad temp sensor or fan switch or anything? And as for the coolant I put all new 50/50 in because it had a coolant leak forming in a coolant return line to the turbo. So no issue there.

azgtx

• Old-Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 03:12:00 PM »

Check the fan switch on the thermostat housing. With the engine running and the fan off pull the wire off the switch...the fan should come on. If it does not come on you have either a broken wire, a bad switch or a bad fan motor. wouldn't hurt to check the cap and thermostat either. If none of this fixes the issue start looking at the radiator.

azgtx

• Old-Timer
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 03:13:00 PM »

BTW the fan is not supposed to run all the time...just when the fan thermo switch tells it to.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 03:57:00 PM »

Yes - as Clay said - the fan won't come on by simply turning the key on. The engine has to be hot enough.

JJ

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2011, 02:07:00 PM »

lol mine does

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 01:00:00 AM »

Have you removed your AC? or is your fan switch shot?

I took a pic of my temp gauge today. This is around where it should run:

rdrake

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2011, 05:04:00 PM »

Oh so I haven't checked here in a while, but ill touch base on things...

I know the fan is not supposed to be on all the time but when your temp gauge reads 250+ it probably should.

Now I did find out that it was a bad switch as I unplugged it and fan be van running so for now the wire is still disconnected and the fan will be running constant when the key is on but will shut off when key is off....

Rocketman I still have AC as the car is a virgin. But with a fresh oil change and washed it all up and attached my hard top after sitting in a garage for 4 years she is running great! Bit as far as the temp your running at mine is a little over so I'm gonna look into a new thermostat because I think its a possibility its sticking... Thanks everyone! Looking forward to vaf adapters, j pipes and ecu... I can't believe how restricted these cars are.

luvit

• imluvit
    • 93capri na
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2011, 03:40:00 AM »

hey. i had the same prob but found it wasn't a bad switch, but i had a dirty/wet/greasy connector for my thermostat housing connector.
i sprayed both ends with brake cleaner then electrical contact cleaner and i've been good ever since..
omgimluvit