TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: white smoke??  (Read 5219 times)

rogers93xr2

white smoke??
« on: April 25, 2011, 06:22:00 PM »

So my car drives nice and strong and has good compression but after driving it around for about ten minutes and getting it up to 50mph it starts smoking white out of the exhaust:( smells like oil! Also smoke starts coming from the turbo. I think its either the valve seals or turbo?? Anyone had this problem?
1993 Mercury Capri XR2
1998 Trans Am WS6
2009 Ford F-150 Super Crew

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
white smoke??
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 04:38:00 AM »

Yikes! Are your oil & coolant levels consistent?

Have you checked the shaft play on the turbo?
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

rogers93xr2

white smoke??
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 12:33:00 PM »

Tell me about it and after all the hard work! The coolant is still at the same level and can't really tell if the oil level is lower since I haven't driven it much. The motor feels nice and strong and I get on it pretty good. Now the turbo has a little side to side shaft play but not bad. It sounds like it should. Only its not the rings or pistons thats for sure I've detonated my last two engines. Also it doesn't smoke right away as if the oil gradually builds up maybe coming from the exhaust manifold to turbo, maybe thats why the smoke starts coming from the turbo and exhaust.
1993 Mercury Capri XR2
1998 Trans Am WS6

fayzaldean

white smoke??
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 11:00:00 PM »

thats your turbo!!  :(

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
white smoke??
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 11:31:00 PM »

Since you've done a swap - what oil pan are you using? is the oil drain from the turbo free & unrestricted, no kinks? Oil flow could be backing up into the turbo and causing it to overpressure the CHRA causing a delayed smoke, I have seen this before. Make sure the oil drain is restriction free.

Along the same lines, are you using an OEM turbo oil feed? I've seen people switch to an aftermarket braided stainless line, but then omit the restrictor on top of the turbo, which has the same effect of flooding the CHRA with oil. The restrictor is a small fitting on top of the CHRA, the part that screws into the the cast housing & the oil feed flare line attaches to.

rogers93xr2

white smoke??
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 04:38:00 AM »

The entire B6T is out of a 91 XR2 but since I broke a spark plug and was unable to get it out I used another B6T head from my last B6T that had a melted piston. I figured the head was still good. however I did also swap over the intake manifold and exhaust manifold and turbo because newer blocks components had a lot of rust since the car came from up north. so basically all I used was the short block and oil pan I got from Russ's donor car which was running great but retired due to rust. I hope its the turbo rather then head
1993 Mercury Capri XR2
1998 Trans Am WS6

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
white smoke??
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 01:07:00 PM »

Okay, but the turbo oil drain line? Is it free flowing? The OEM line often becomes brittle & cracks, and people replace it with generic rubber line which I've seen kinks fairly often, and can cause a smoking turbo.

Did you have the head checked for flatness or machined before you installed it?

Also, just curious, what are you running for injectors/VAF/harness/ecu/distributor?

rogers93xr2

white smoke??
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 03:44:00 PM »

I did in fact change the oil return hose with the hard thick hose that comes from the intake manifold to the intake and cut it just right since its already curved and seems to not leak and work fine. I am running the stock B6 harness, B6 distributor and Flywheel and no knock box. Just the way I did on my last b6t setup which ran great. Also b6t computer which is needed because the B6 computer on it seems to have a misfire. Also stock turbo Injectors. And no unfortunately I didn't have the head machined or checked out like I shoulda. I wonder if there are any tests I can run to better diagnose the prob! I just want to fix the car up to be a good DD and look and sound good, no more racing for me
1993 Mercury Capri XR2
1998 Trans Am WS6

rogers93xr2

white smoke??
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2011, 10:25:00 AM »

So i solved the problem! Replaced the PCV and my water feed line to the turbo was bent restricting water flow. Now it runs and sounds great!!  ;)
1993 Mercury Capri XR2
1998 Trans Am WS6

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
white smoke??
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2011, 04:53:00 PM »

Easy fixes. Glad its cleared up.

Heavensheros

• Old-Timer
    • http://http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2685897/1
white smoke??
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2011, 03:07:00 PM »

you removed knock sensor? can you do that ? sorry off topic
1992 Capri XR2
RocketMan VAF adaptor
Accel wires
Irundium IX
2.5\\" Thrush exauhst
Rocket Chip
Rims
H&R Lowering Springs
Tuner FX Racing seats
Gauges w/ A-pillar gauge pods
Accel superstock coil
FMIC

rogers93xr2

white smoke??
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2011, 08:49:00 PM »

I never used the knock box I think is what they call it which is located on the left side by the motor mount because my B6 wire harness didn't have the plug for it. But my swap has worked just fine both times now and runs strong however I really don't plan on making it a race car just a daily driver, like Ive said all I did was interchange the B6 Flywheel and distributor to the B6T block and use the B6T computer. Of course I had the donor XR2s both times but still left on all my stock B6 suspension and transmission. I'll takes picks and post em up
1993 Mercury Capri XR2
1998 Trans Am WS6