TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: GOT MY XR2; NOW A PROBLEM..... OIL PRESSURE  (Read 4919 times)

randyshear

• http://www.a1title-42.com
GOT MY XR2; NOW A PROBLEM..... OIL PRESSURE
« on: June 08, 2009, 06:55:00 PM »

Ok, so I went to Austin, TX and bought my XR2.. Let me tell you the nightmare first.. Ok, so I call the guy, and we agree on $1400. He tells me how it runs & drives perfectly, cold A/C, great body & top, only 100K miles, etc.. So I am THRILLED!! I leave at 4:30 AM and head out.. We get there at 11AM.. The drive was aweful.. Anyway.. The top had the back window replaced with some cheap thin plastic, and some kind of sticky stuff to hold it on.. Then I look at the windshield to see the inspection, and registration.. Well the inspection expierd in 2006, the tag registration is missing all together.. He then tells me it hasn't run in 4 years, and he got it running again.. So I take it for a test drive.. It drives out great. I ask him for the title, and he doesn't have one.. LOL.. He did have papers from the tag office in TX showing 2 weeks ago he applied for a title.. Anyway, I bought it.. The body is great, it has premium sound which bumps, it has 100K miles, the optional 3 spoke wheels with great tires, seats are almost MINT!! Even the driver seat!! Very well maintained car.. So I call and insure it to be safe, and we drive her 450  miles home.. Now, my wife drove it home, and I took my time.. She claims it took 2 and 1/4 tanks of gas to get here.. How is that even possible?? It doesn't smoke at all, and runs very well.. Also, I got home tonight, and took her for a spin.. WOW!! It tops out at about 6-7PSI around 7300RPM.. I guess thats normal?? Great power.. Fast.. BUT!! I noticed when I got home the oil pressure is extremely low.. I mean damn near touching the red low.. It doesn't knock at all, doesn't tap except for cold start up for a second or two, no oil pressure light is on (does it even have one?) When I'm driving it seems to go up to normal, and sometimes it stays just above the first line even when accelerating.. Any ideas? Thanks!
-Randy Shear

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2009, 07:54:00 PM »

Hey Randy! Oil pressure is typical. Install another gauge to monitor pressure. There has been a lot of talk about faulty gauges on the forum. What I've found is that 100,000 mile engines don't have good pressure at idle. I run 20/40, 20/50 and straight 40 on older cars. sacramento hits 105 during summer, though this year is mild so far; but it's early june. Don't fret. What year is the car, because '92 and '93 comes with the wheel you describe.  Gus

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009, 02:11:00 AM »

my first XR2 had the same gauge problem. i had it in the shop all the time... i read somewhere (cant remember) that you need to clean the grounds in the engine bay. i replaced all mine on this car and so far no problems at all. i used 8Ga power wire for car stereos.

as for the gas..i can believe it..LOL i get just over 200 miles to a tank here with my lead foot
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1990 240sx (SR20DET Swapped)
1992 240sx Convertible

Yuri

• Old-Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009, 01:26:00 PM »

just ignore the oil pressure and temperature gauges... that make you worry for nothing

Yuri

• Old-Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009, 01:26:00 PM »

now you need a new bov, intercooler, mbc, and rocketchip

randyshear

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009, 02:58:00 PM »

I'm having a problem.. I notice it has good take off, but if cruising at a stable speed, I feel power loss. If I floor it it shoots off again, and boost goes back up.. Cruising at 60-70 or so boost drops to zero until i accellerate again.. Any idea what could be causing the power loss??
-Randy Shear

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2009, 04:23:00 PM »

boost is not always there...if you are "cruising" then no boost would be normal, when you get on it, it will take a few seconds to build back up boost. mine starts to kick in about 3500RPM. what you got sounds normal. first turbo car?
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1992 240sx Convertible

randyshear

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2009, 04:55:00 PM »

It is my 1st turbo car. But I'm sure this is not normal.. I can be cruising, and it suddenly loses power, kinda boggs down, and loses speed until I give it more throttle, then it clears up.. It loses enough power to where when it clears up, it pushes me back in my seat some. It seems most noticeable from 3rd to 5th gear. If this is normal, I most definately don't like it, and will go back to an N/A. It has GREAT power, and you can really feel when the boost kicks in, but the bogging and using 2 1/4 tanks of gas for 400 miles is crazy.. I'm thinking the very poor fuel economy and this bogging issue are related. My N/A got 300+ to each tank. 2 1/4 tanks for 400 miles is not good at all.. Any help will be much appreciated, as I know NOTHING about these turbo cars.. I'm lost.. Thanks guys!
-Randy Shear

Yuri

• Old-Timer
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2009, 04:58:00 PM »

hmm... that is interesting... sporadic time-delayed vacuum leak?

and as for gas mileage.... change spark plugs, air filter, fuel filter, dizzy cap & rotor, plug wires, oil, and get some injector cleaner or take them out and clean them (i suggest the cleaner... i hear the injectors are a bitch to deal with)

P.S. I'm currently averaging just under 30mpg... don't let the gas gauge fool you... when it hits rock bottom you still have a gallon and a half left (at least I do)  It gets to about 250miles when it starts to get into the red (2.5 gallons left)

yen

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2009, 05:07:00 PM »

Unstable fuel pressure?
I had rust build up in my fuel pump due to water in the tank.
1990 Ford Capri
1.6L SOHC

randyshear

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2009, 05:17:00 PM »

I should also mention that is only does this under load.. I have reved it from 800-5000 RPM, and held it around 4K, it ran perfect.
-Randy Shear

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2009, 05:21:00 PM »

ahhh saying it bogs down helps me..LOL as for gas mileage i get 225 miles to the tank if i am lucky. i do not really have stop and go traffic but i am agressive in driving. when i get it up to 5th more often and just cruise i do better on gas. but who wants to do that. :confused:  

go get some B-12 Chemtool. walmart is the cheapest around here and open 24/7 but all the car stores sell them as well. my car did the same thing when the car got under 1/4 tank of gas left. i added that and in 1 tank i ran it to empty. i also got about 2+ more mpg
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1992 240sx Convertible

randyshear

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2009, 05:34:00 PM »

I will go give that a try now. It has half a tank and is doing it.. IDK if it did this before, since my wife drove it back, and got home 40 minutes before me.. Hmmm...  
-Randy Shear

rcicustoms

• Old-Timer
    • http://google
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2009, 05:34:00 PM »

its running rich as hell>>> my capri becuase of all the mods ive done, runs really rich all the time... if i start it right up and take off before it warms up mine does as you describe... the car runs rich and at a higher idle when cold and for me just happens to run too rich...  gas on her, it falls on its face and makes a breaking up or studdering..... its definately fuel related ...check your pressure reg and related...check or replace your fuel filter... sounds like regulator too me ...
if it goes through a set of plugs... no no wait put a set of plugs in it... just some new plugs....
 I run denso irridium  twin tip. due to the tiny gap the design inherits and is great for high boost where the fire can be "blown out"
but a new set of NGKs will work for ya too....
try plugs first.. then look over your fuel system and pay special attention to your pressure regulator.... if all checks out and the problem persists. i have a spare VAF ill let you use to diagnose.. but you must pay shipping to and from and id really like to keep it (not for sale) unless you get into a spot where you just cant find one ... rocket or caprityper may have one for sale. if it is the problem. but its really unlikely im still thinking fuel pressure AKA pressure reg.....

220hp@18psi

rcicustoms

• Old-Timer
    • http://google
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2009, 05:43:00 PM »

on a lighter note i wish i got 30mpg still.... truth be told it prolly does driven normally..
this little monster has no problems drinking a 1/4 tank of 93 octane v power in roughly 20 miles if you take her on the highway at night and open her up...then aggain my 60,000 mile kumho tires lasted about 20,000 miles ....could be the way i drive...hmmm...naaa....

220hp@18psi
Pages: [1] 2