Tech, Repairs, Upgrades > Brakes/Suspension/Tires/Wheels

Disassembling the struts

(1/2) > >>

Digz:
Working on replacing the front struts, and these nuts on top have me stumped. Is there some secret to them, or some tool I can’t find to remove them? I’ve never seen a strut that didn’t have a hex nut on the end of it.

https://ibb.co/8P9ZR19

Thanks!!

EShepherd:

--- Quote from: Digz on May 17, 2023, 08:38:06 PM ---Working on replacing the front struts, and these nuts on top have me stumped. Is there some secret to them, or some tool I can’t find to remove them? I’ve never seen a strut that didn’t have a hex nut on the end of it.

https://ibb.co/8P9ZR19

Thanks!!

--- End quote ---

They had me stumped for a bit as well. You just need an open ended wrench. I forget what size, maybe a 21mm? If they put up a fight (if you live in a salt area, they absolutely will) you may need to use some heat to help loosen them up.

Aus Capri:
This has me stumped too, how do you stop the shock piston from just rotating, how do you lock it to loosen the nut? I was about to post a new topic but just seen its already here, but what's the answer? Cheers guys I've got some new strut mounts I want to install, the old ones rubber is bulging out and the nut is hitting the bonnet!

Digz:
One came right off for me. The other - I had to pull the strut, compress the spring, cut off the base for the spring, slide the spring off, and grind a slot into the piston so that I could fit a wrench into it to hold it. Eventually it came off - but it was a long process lol.

EShepherd:

--- Quote from: Aus Capri on June 07, 2023, 07:20:32 AM ---This has me stumped too, how do you stop the shock piston from just rotating, how do you lock it to loosen the nut? I was about to post a new topic but just seen its already here, but what's the answer? Cheers guys I've got some new strut mounts I want to install, the old ones rubber is bulging out and the nut is hitting the bonnet!

--- End quote ---

Make sure the spring is in the compressor, and has tension off of it. Pull back the rubber boot that protects the shock body (assuming it's still there) to expose the chrome. Get a pair of vice grips (and a rag if you are re-using the shock, to prevent the tool from biting into it), and lock them onto the shock. Use that to counter-hold while you break free the top nut.

Heat and penetrating oil will be your friend here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version