TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Brake Air ducts.  (Read 7242 times)

need4speed428

Brake Air ducts.
« on: July 24, 2006, 05:35:00 PM »

Has anyone here ever tried to put brake air ducts on their car? I'm thinking about it. Even after my brake upgrade I want more haha....I managed to get a noticeable amount of fade today after multiple sharp corners taken at speed...So i'm thinking I'm going to put some air ducts on the to try and cool them. I have the tri spoke 15" wheels and they don't seem to let much air in. My foglights don't work anyways, so i'm going to pull them out, go to the hardware store get some air ducting for dryer ducting. Then put it in the hole for the foglights so I have a "ram air" for my brakes then direct the other end of it at the center of the brake rotor. Anybody ever done this to their car?
2007 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
1966 F100
1993 XR2 (gone but not forgotten)
2006 Yamaha FZ1  \\"[Smile]\\"  150bhp at only 439lbs!

need4speed428

Brake Air ducts.
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2006, 12:47:00 PM »

Ok well I went to the hardware store and bought some dryer vent ducting and hacked something up! It made some difference. The biggest difference is in how long it takes them to cool off once they are hot. I did some pretty brutal things to them to test it. Lots of fast accelerations to about 80 then slam on the brakes back down to about 20. Did that about 7 or 8 times in a row before they finally got mushy on me. They cooled back off really quick though. I had my brakes back probably less than a mile down the road.
Ok so it works...it does look a little ghetto though haha. I snaked the pipe around to just underneath the fog light holes. I'm running EBC Greenstuff pads if anyone wants to know. I also have the galant rotor upgrade on it. I think most of my problem is boiling brake fluid. I need to buy some better stuff and do a complete flush of the system. Anyways just thought I'd let everyone know how it went. I'd post some pics but I don't have a digicam.
2007 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
1966 F100

JJ

Brake Air ducts.
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2006, 06:51:00 AM »

Sounds like it helps a bit, but only if you're going fast enough to get some wind up there. What about like on an autocross course, where it's a lot of turns and not too much high speed stuff...?

kind of reminds me of when rich had his headlight system ram air into the intake.  

need4speed428

Brake Air ducts.
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2006, 08:11:00 AM »

You know I had that thought too....Ehh I donno i'll find out eventually.
2007 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
1966 F100

need4speed428

Brake Air ducts.
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2006, 02:53:00 PM »

Ok I took them off....I was getting too many stares from ricers and cops.. I hate racing civics and I don't need anymore attention from the cops.
2007 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
1966 F100

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Brake Air ducts.
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2006, 05:27:00 PM »

What if you painted them to match? or just black?
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

need4speed428

Brake Air ducts.
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2006, 07:33:00 PM »

I guess thats an idea. They'd still be fairly noticeable though.
2007 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
1966 F100

duritzcrows17

Brake Air ducts.
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2006, 07:40:00 AM »

Why do you hate racing civics? just wondering. I for one love racing a car that makes a 1.6 liter dohc engine such as ours but makes 160 hp stock apposed to our 132 and doesn't need a turbo charger to attain those numbers. Trust me fast and the furious and poor people have ruined hondas image but at the end of the day a capri can't hold a candle to a well built honda, Period. It's funny because I go out there and watch all these domestic car owners talk poorly about hondas when they forget a couple important things. The mustang came with a 5.0 v8 that made 220 hp. The S2000 made a 2.0 4 cylinder that makes 240 hp. So it took ford 3 more liters and 4 more cylinders to make 20 less horsepower. That is embarrassing to say the least seeing as the mustang is a "Muscle Car" and hondas are "rice burners". And if thats not enough the S2000 looks better, handles better, Has better mileage and has reliability only second to Toyota. I can make many more comparisons of superior hondas leaving out the S2000 and Type R if need be. I just hate the image Honda has attained from uneducated people.

[ September 22, 2006, 01:50 PM: Message edited by: duritzcrows17 ]
88 Ford Festiva B6T (project car)
89 Ford Festiva B3 (the daily)

ninjaskill

• http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2443115
Brake Air ducts.
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2006, 08:51:00 AM »

yyyaaaayyyyyy!! and the crowd goes wild! man i could not have said it better myself duritz, my wife owns a integra Lx and i realy like that car. its no capri, but i have been looking into mods for her. bottom line is : THE NAME DOES NOT MATTER, THE SIZE DOES NOT MATTER, THE DRIVER IS WHAT MATTERS. dude if you can take a kia sephia and put 800bhp on the ground then great. if you do it with a mustang great . just do what you love to do and F*$& everybody else.  

need4speed428

Brake Air ducts.
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2006, 09:40:00 AM »

Ok lets not start a flame war this has been discussed on every car forum on the internet before. People have different opinions on it lets leave it at that.
2007 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
1966 F100

ninjaskill

• http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2443115
Brake Air ducts.
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2006, 10:11:00 AM »

ok, aside from my shameful rant(sorry guys i should not blow up like that) that brake coolent duct work sounds real interesting, i like to hear about improv stuff like this its real cool. man you need to get a cheap ass camera to show us what you did cuz i would love to see it. have you thougt of scooping the air from below the car? just a thought. might not be possible cus of ride hight and speed bumps etc.

duritzcrows17

Brake Air ducts.
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2006, 03:48:00 PM »

sorry, that wasn't meant to be a stab or even an arguement i was just stating facts that i feel are often overlooked or not even consumed by many.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Brake Air ducts.
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2006, 05:55:00 PM »

Originally posted by duritzcrows17:
Why do you hate racing civics? just wondering. I for one love racing a car that makes a 1.6 liter dohc engine such as ours but makes 160 hp stock apposed to our 132 and doesn't need a turbo charger to attain those numbers. Trust me fast and the furious and poor people have ruined hondas image but at the end of the day a capri can't hold a candle to a well built honda, Period. It's funny because I go out there and watch all these domestic car owners talk poorly about hondas when they forget a couple important things. The mustang came with a 5.0 v8 that made 220 hp. The S2000 made a 2.0 4 cylinder that makes 240 hp. So it took ford 3 more liters and 4 more cylinders to make 20 less horsepower. That is embarrassing to say the least seeing as the mustang is a "Muscle Car" and hondas are "rice burners". And if thats not enough the S2000 looks better, handles better, Has better mileage and has reliability only second to Toyota. I can make many more comparisons of superior hondas leaving out the S2000 and Type R if need be. I just hate the image Honda has attained from uneducated people.
Talk about uneducated! HP is a function of torque vs. RPM, torque is really the way to compare two totally different motors. Look at the torque from a 5.0, and look at the torque from the honda motor.

Also - look when the motors were built- VTEC is so much newer. Look at today's motors from ford - they make much more HP with less displacement. Your comparign mucsle era technology to today's bleeding edge technology.

The only reason that the honda motor makes that much HP is because it can rev much higher than the 5.0. If you build a 5.0 to rev higher, it will produce much more HP.

I'm not saying one is better, or that I like one or the other, but dont go implying that the honda motor is so much better in every way. Just look at everything from both angles.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

duritzcrows17

Brake Air ducts.
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2006, 07:14:00 PM »

woh! chill out dude.

need4speed428

Brake Air ducts.
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2006, 03:46:00 AM »

Originally posted by Rocketman:

quote:
Originally posted by duritzcrows17:
Talk about uneducated! HP is a function of torque vs. RPM, torque is really the way to compare two totally different motors. Look at the torque from a 5.0, and look at the torque from the honda motor.

Also - look when the motors were built- VTEC is so much newer. Look at today's motors from ford - they make much more HP with less displacement. Your comparign mucsle era technology to today's bleeding edge technology.

The only reason that the honda motor makes that much HP is because it can rev much higher than the 5.0. If you build a 5.0 to rev higher, it will produce much more HP.

I'm not saying one is better, or that I like one or the other, but dont go implying that the honda motor is so much better in every way. Just look at everything from both angles. [/b][/QUOTE]I really wanted to say what rocketman just said....but I bit my tongue.

As for the brake ducts...they practically were on the ground. The inlets were right below the holes for the fog lights.
2007 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
1966 F100
Pages: [1] 2