TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: Tokico struts/H&R Springs  (Read 5731 times)

Tim

Tokico struts/H&R Springs
« on: August 07, 2004, 09:30:00 AM »

Well, I have about 75 miles on the car since I put the Tokico struts, H&R springs, and Cory's strut tower bar on the car.  They lowered it about 1.2"; looks just right.  The ride around town is not as harsh as I expected.  They absorb little bumps just fine.  Larger bumps are a little harsher but that might have been the case even with new stock components.  The thing I notice most around town is that it corners flatter and seems to keep the tires on the ground better.

At higher speeds (just up to 90 mph so far) it really handles nicely.  It's smooth and corners very flat on off-ramps and the like.  No harshness over uneven/groove pavement.  Also, no bump steer, thought that's more a function of alignment.  Overall, it seems to have been a good move.

Happy Motoring!
Tim in STL
Tim in St. Louis
\\\'91 XR2 White
Reich Racing cold air intake and re-mapped ECM, 2.5\\" manifold back exhaust, boostvalve, Borbet 16\\" whls, Kumho tires, Tokico struts, H&R springs, front strut tower bar

Paul G.

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2004, 11:22:00 AM »

I have the same setup minus the strut tower bar, it rides good but a little harsh on the bumps with 17" rims w/ 205-40-17 tires. I like it alot more than the stock height. more aggressive looking...now to just be able the afford a razzi body kit and I'd be set for awhile.
Paul G.
92 Mercury Capri (Red - N/A): SOLD
1963 VW Bug Lowrider

Richter12x2

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2004, 08:42:00 AM »

I got the Tokiko struts myself, and those alone improved cornering a great deal.  By the way, worn struts can mess up your alignment quite a bit... I had a Chevy Beretta that the shop could NOT align, and I was going through a pair of tires (the front) every 3 months.  Finally changed my struts and it was perfect again.

Capri_chick

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2004, 05:59:00 PM »

Which line did you go with? We put the H&R Super Sports and Bilstein HD shocks/struts on our 2004 Mach 1, and I cannot even express the difference. "No longer handles like a Mustang" should sum it up pretty nicely  :D

H&R is a great quality product, and so are Tokicos. No one should skimp on suspension, great work! Got any pics?
2007 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4 5.7L
2007 Acura TL Type-S
2007 Ford Mustang GT

jmb94

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2004, 12:08:00 PM »

Did you order directly from Tokico or did you purchase from a performance shop?  The reason I asked is because I called Tokico to order the struts and lady hung up on me.  They are about to get a bad mouth from me.  Also, the one thing the lady was that they sell to wholesale companies.  That sound like bullshit to me when other members has purchased their struts.

James B.

pmpsht

• Old-Timer
    • http://www.TunerFixx.com
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2004, 12:56:00 PM »

When I ordered mine, the lady almost hung up on me too.  IF they are still running the special you, you have to specifically tell them that is where you are buying them from.  Then the girl will be like...."Ohhhh ok".
Cory Barry
93 XR2 Project \\"Blue Flame\\"
Starion Intercooled, VJ14/11 Hybrid
TunerFixx Dual Stage Boost Controller, Spec Clutch, Lightened Flywheel, RocketChip ECU **SOLD**
91 NA Silver/Teal (Looks Fast)*SOLD*  
http://www.Tunerfixx.com\\" target=\\"_blank\\">TunerFixx.com Capri Performance: Links, Multimedia, Tech

5570xr2

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2004, 05:58:00 PM »

Yeah, they hung up on me too.  You have to immediately say that you are ordering an overstock special.  Then she were quite cordial.  Strange...

I finally got the time to put the struts on last week. Nice improvement over the 13 year old stockers.
Mark

1994 XR2
2003 Mazda Protege5

jmb94

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2004, 10:47:00 AM »

Good news.  I ordered my struts today.  Thanks for the info yesterday about ordering these struts.

James B.

stinkweed

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2004, 07:10:00 AM »

has anyone experimented with the H&R or other springs sets to get their car even lower?i've already got the tokico's but i'm hesitant to buy
the springs just yet. 1.2" just doesnt seem like much to me. course i'm not interested in scraping the ground either but i'd like to lower mine about 1.75 to 2.0" to close that huge wheel gap.
i wondered if anyone ever cut a coil off off the H&R's or if there is another spring set available?anyone out their have suggestions?
                         thanks

TimK

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2004, 09:05:00 AM »

I have the Tokico/H&R combo on my 1991 XR2.  1.2" doesn't sound like much but it's noticeable.  Mine now sits such that the gap b/t the tire and wheel well is even all the way around where it used to be a bit more open at the top of the tire.  I can tell it's lower and I think it looks better but the casual observer probably wouldn't notice becuase it's not the "slammed" effect you see on a lot of Civics, etc, these days.  Handline is enhance, too.  There never was much body lean with the stock set up (mine has 75,000 miles) but I do notice that it corners even flatter than before.  I installed a front shock tower strut at the same time, though, so that probably affected it, too.  My two cents.  Good Luck.
Tim in STL
\\\'91 White XR2

pmpsht

• Old-Timer
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2004, 01:04:00 PM »

Hey Tim-

I swear I have asked you before, but I don't remember if we chatted about it.  How do you like the re-mapped ecu?  Is it consistently safe in all rpms and gears?  I was thinking of using this for now until I go with the E-Manage setup.  Have you used it to run the 16psi they claim?  Good results?  Thanks for any insight.  Later.
Cory Barry
TunerFixx Dual Stage Boost Controller, Spec Clutch, Lightened Flywheel, RocketChip ECU **SOLD**
http://www.Tunerfixx.com\\" target=\\"_blank\\">TunerFixx.com Capri Performance: Links, Multimedia, Tech

TimK

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2004, 09:07:00 AM »

Hi Cory,
I haven't used the re-mapped ECU to its full capability.  In fact, I haven't disconnected the 10psi fuel cut-out yet.  As such, and without something like an air/fuel gauge or an EGT/ITT gauge, I'm not sure I can give you much useful guidance on how well it works.  Anectdotally, I can say that the car definitely "feels" like it has more power and I can get full boost (to the 10psi cut-off) in 1st, 2nd, & 3rd gears even on 90 degree F days.  On nice, cool Fall days like today (68 degrees) the power is really there!  My plan for the dual gaugepod is to install some of those instruments that provide the monitoring capability to avoid blowing a piston through the hood.  Besides, I'm not sure I could keep the thing hooked up if it's making that much power.  Then I'd have to go spend another grand on new tires/wheels!
Tim
Tim in STL
\\\'91 White XR2

pmpsht

• Old-Timer
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2004, 03:38:00 AM »

Thanks for the info Tim.  I have actually decided to go with the GReddy E-Manage piggy back.  For around $700 (vs. $265 for the ecu) I can have absolute control over my engine.  From timing, to boost, to boost cut, to a/f ratio, to adjusting specific injectors.  Hook up a lap top to tune and you are done.  And leaves a whooole lot more room for upgrades.  I have a 3-guage pod, with boost, a/f ratio, and I have the last spot open for my EGT when I get it, too damn expensive!  Glad to hear it atleast does the job even if not boosting that 16psi.  You are smarter than most out there hehe, playing it safe that is.  For all the things I'm doing now, my boost cut is still plugged in also    Later.
Cory Barry

Paul G.

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2005, 06:00:00 PM »

question:
Would coilover springs for a 86-89 mazda 323 work on the capri? I know the struts are the same and lowering springs(H&R).
Paul G.
92 Mercury Capri (Red - N/A): SOLD
1963 VW Bug Lowrider

STE_6000

• Old-Timer
    • http://teamcapri.com
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2005, 04:23:00 PM »

The only struts that work are the 86-89 mazda struts, the NON-GTX versions. the same for the springs and coilovers too.
Anthony
Cadillac STS 05 Silver Metallic V8-Northstar
-Tinted Windows 20%
-Volant Cold Air Intake
-Corsa Exhaust
-Phillips 6,000K HID Low Beams
-Phillips 6,000K HID Fog Lights
-Factory upgrade radio to 8\\" touch screen navi with 6 disc dvd changer.

http://teamcapri.com\\" target=\\"_blank\\">