TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: gas millage question and advice needed  (Read 249 times)

owent616

• 1991 Capri XR2
gas millage question and advice needed
« on: February 28, 2024, 02:30:01 PM »

Hello! I have had my 91 Capri xr2 for a little over a year she runs amazingly but I've noticed my gas milage has gone down significantly from getting 200 miles +/- a tank to about 160-175 ish a tank I know it doesn't seem like a big issue I just want to make sure that it isn't a big issue that I am over looking. Now I have a little more free money to spend i have been wanting to start doing some upgrades what are some recommendations I have a little experience so I would like to start with simpler upgrades and then move up to  the more complex when I can afford another car. Right now it is my daily I have about 90k miles on it. I wanted to start with maybe an exhaust upgrade or custom air intake however a mechanic friend of mine told me that a custom air intake wouldnt really be worth my time? I was wondering if anyone who knows more about this car specifically would agree or disagree with that,
Thank you for reading have a great day or night!!

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Re: gas millage question and advice needed
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2024, 07:18:33 PM »

Check your cooling system, if the thermostat is stuck open the ECU will dump fuel to try to warm the engine up.

Intake, exhaust, chip & boost controller will make the XR2 feel like a new beast
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2024, 09:02:04 AM »

I get 200+ miles on my XR2's. It should get low to mid 20MPG at least. Tune condition and driving style determine what kind of mileage you will get. I have one with over 200K on it and I get 30MPG on it consistently when it is tuned up.
Jack Byrd

EShepherd

• 1991 Capri XR2, 1991 Capri XR2 Rusted out Shell
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2024, 05:24:50 PM »

In addition to what everyone else said; do you get cold temperatures this time of year where you live? We've had nights below freezing every night for months here, and ALL of my cars are getting noticeably worse fuel economy.

owent616

• 1991 Capri XR2
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2024, 12:54:11 PM »

Thanks for all the reply’s! I will look into the thermostat I think that is why my radiator fan won’t turn on aswell so that could definitely be the case! And That’s exactly the upgrades I was thinking do you know where the chip is still being sold?
And No I live in alabama lowest we get just comes for a few days then the cold weather is gone