TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: Suspension/Brake/Bearing Overhaul  (Read 3959 times)

BlewitUp

Suspension/Brake/Bearing Overhaul
« on: September 20, 2011, 02:29:00 AM »

I did a search with zero matches found.  Probably because I don't know the right term for the part.

I need to do wheel bearings.  In order to minimize down time, I took the knuckle, rotor, half shaft and all off of a 91 Capri at the junkyard.  Mine is also a 91

Here are my questions:

1. What’s with the nut on the driveshaft spindle?  Before I go he-man on it, I want to make sure it isn't reverse thread.

2. The donor Capri's splash/back plate is rusted to hell and so are mine.  Is there a part number for them?  If not, can I run without them?  Just wondering if anyone else is.

3. Anything special I should look out for while doing Struts, ball joints, half shafts, bearings and brakes?  I will be hitting all four corners, minus half shafts in the rear. HA

4. As far as struts, from other threads, I see a popular choice is the KYB GR2's.  I would like to maintain stock ride height with winter.  Will I be OK?

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2011, 02:45:00 AM »

Make sure the rotor sizes match between your capri and your donor.

1. Its a 28mm or 1 1/8" stake nut, both are standard thread. This what holds the hub/knuckle/bearings together. Be sure to unstake before removal, & FSM recommends replacing these on each use but I have re-used them before. Have someone stand on the brakes while you use a breaker bar, makes life simple

2. The part is the dust shield. I don't know of a part number, they're pressed on the hub though. You might be able to find them at a dealer. I've seen people run without them but I can't say thats good/bad for anything

3.Do you have a FSM? It's a really helpful reference... tech-capri.com is decent but nothing beats a FSM in hand

4. GR2's are okay they're supposed to be a little stiffer than stock. Tokico HP's are about the best bolt-on strut you can buy. Springs determine ride height, not struts

Good luck
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

BlewitUp

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2011, 03:11:00 AM »

I do not have a FSM unfortunately.  I haven't found one.  Plan on hitting Amazon later today.

I would agree with you on having someone stand on the brakes but someone took the master cylinder... and the shifter was out (which I picked up to convert to short throw w/ new bushings) so I had no way of locking it up.  I plan on using a vice and a big ass breaker bar.

As for the struts, I didn't know if they came with new coils or not.  that was the reason behind the question.  I understand how that works.  I have never had a vehicle that required struts.  

Thanks for your help!
-Ryan

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2011, 03:40:00 AM »

Russ usually has a few FSM's - his email is CapriTypeR@gmail.com

With the knuckle & axle assembly off the car, that's a tough one. Try an impact gun, if you have one. It can be really tough to remove the nut with everything off the car. You might be able to bolt or jam something in the lug studs to hold it

With the strut - you get just that - the strut. I don't know of any companies that offer a full spring & strut assembly for the Capri. (I know some companies do offer them for other cars, but they're $$$) You would need a spring compressor to take off & re-use your stock springs. If your strut bearings (front) and strut mounts (rear) are shot it would be a good idea to replace them too

The front strut bearings, are angled a bit. They're only supposed to be installed one way - theres usually a little dot on the mount, this faces inward to the engine bay I believe.

BlewitUp

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2011, 04:19:00 AM »

Spring compressor isn't an issue.  the machine shop by my house with swap the coils for $20 each.  Since they will be pressing in the wheel bearings too, why not just let them do it all...

I will check the mounts.  I am assuming those are hard to find too.  Rock auto?

Thanks again.
-Ryan

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2011, 04:43:00 AM »

They're not hard to find. RockAuto has them, they are probably the cheapest. Last I checked they carried a handful of brands too

PCFree

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 04:55:00 AM »

The front strut bearings are actually offset to be installed either inboard or outboard to rough in a Camber setting and then there is enough play where the strut mounts to the knuckle to fine tune the Camber setting. You have to let the alignment guy know that there are two settings for the strut bearings. It is nice that you can remove the four nuts and the whole assembly drops enough to allow the mount to be rotated 180 degrees.
\\"Computers & Cameras & Cars, Oh My!\\"

PCFree

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 05:00:00 AM »

There is a Yahoo Capri group that has the FSM for Capri in a .pdf format. That is where I downloaded it for free. I quit the group after arguing why windshields are urethaned in and not butyl and how dangerous it was to use butyl to re-install one. More of the "I've done it this way and never had a problem" where I have seen what happens when it is a problem and someone gets killed.
\\"Computers & Cameras & Cars, Oh My!\\"

BlewitUp

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 05:34:00 AM »

iteresting....

Good to know about both accounts.

Thanks!

-Ryan

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 06:47:00 AM »

Hmm, FSM has this to say:

It does mention using it for coarse camber adjustment, but does not mention the index mark there