TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: Got power window problems?  (Read 3139 times)

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
Got power window problems?
« on: August 22, 2014, 08:29:38 PM »

I want to give my recommendation for a man I found to rebuild your window regulators.  When I had a problem with my drivers side window, I contacted Roo-Sport.  They no longer keep window regulators but they gave me a contact to have them rebuilt.  His name is James Whitt, 334/343-6094.  I called him and he's a super nice guy and his communication was fantastic.  I shipped my regulator, USPS, on Thursday, he received it Saturday, repaired it and shipped it out on Monday, and I received it Wednesday.  He gave me a call to let me know it was on it's way and gave me several good installation tips.  I got it installed and it works like a new one.  I have no connection to Mr. Whitt and had no knowledge of him prior to this transaction.  I just wanted everyone to know we had a supporter out there who does great work, good communication and at a reasonable price.

Hope this helps, Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd

theunnamed1

• 1991 Mercury Capri N/A Auto
Re: Got power window problems?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 11:04:28 AM »

Is the cost of repair competitive with that of just replacing it with a used one?

91 Mercury Capri N/A 73k miles

blueamber

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 01:45:32 PM »

It's always cheaper to buy a used part rather than rebuilt... the problem with the window regulators is there are certain design areas that are prone to break... a used regulator can work fine today and break tomorrow... a rebuilt one by James reinforces those weak points, adds new parts, and makes the regulator better than new.

So, a rebuilt one will last at least as long as a new one, a used one MAY last a long time.  If you buy used, just make sure the tracks are well lubricated with a water resistant lubricant, binding in the tracks contribute to regulator failure...

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2014, 09:28:30 PM »

It's always cheaper to buy a used part rather than rebuilt... the problem with the window regulators is there are certain design areas that are prone to break... a used regulator can work fine today and break tomorrow... a rebuilt one by James reinforces those weak points, adds new parts, and makes the regulator better than new.

So, a rebuilt one will last at least as long as a new one, a used one MAY last a long time.  If you buy used, just make sure the tracks are well lubricated with a water resistant lubricant, binding in the tracks contribute to regulator failure...

As an example, my passenger window worked very slowly when I got the car running.  But it was the drivers side that quit.  The passenger is fine for now.

If anything else is available, I never buy used electrical parts.

Jack Byrd.
Jack Byrd

Sceeter

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 09:13:32 AM »

Good luck with the Capri some elec. parts can only be gotten used. John