TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: alt/wp belts  (Read 3090 times)

moncee

alt/wp belts
« on: June 08, 2011, 08:46:00 AM »

i have a 92 mercury capri i have been through several belts and i have a new alternator and new water pump and i am confused y the belts keep snaping off  they start to smoke then snap if some one can help me out with this problem i would greatly appreciated thanks again

rcdraco

alt/wp belts
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 09:43:00 AM »

Does your car have A/C?  Do both belts fail, or just the accesory drive(front) belt?

If it doesn't have A/C, and it's just the frontal belt I'd suspect the idler has seized up, which should be checked everytime you change belts.  If that's not the case, you might be overtightening/overloosening your belt tension on one or both belts.

moncee

alt/wp belts
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 09:52:00 AM »

no its just the alt belt that smokes and breaks off

rcdraco

alt/wp belts
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 01:49:00 PM »

I'd be willing to wager it's tension related then.  Make sure it has some slack, on average you want to be able to push it with some force and get it to move 1/8 to 1/4 an inch, if it barely moves, back off on the alternator.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
alt/wp belts
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 02:22:00 PM »

Does your car have A/C? Do both belts fail, or just the accesory drive(front) belt?

If it doesn't have A/C, and it's just the frontal belt I'd suspect the idler has seized up, which should be checked everytime you change belts. If that's not the case, you might be overtightening/overloosening your belt tension on one or both belts.
Holy geeze, of all people you should know this:
1. All US destined Capris were equipped with AC.
2. The capri does not use an idler for ANY accessory drive belt. If you have deleted AC, you run a smaller belt driving only the PS pump.
3.Alt/WP belt failure is documented in a recall/TSB: 92B09 OCT 92 Campaign - Alternator Pulley and Belt Replacement

The pulley is not correct for the alternator, or is misaligned. Do you have the pulley from your old alternator? Also try this belt, it has been recommended on the Yahoo! group (it's a heavy duty lawn mower belt from NAPA) HEAVY DUTY FHP BELT #4L360W
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

rcdraco

alt/wp belts
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 03:01:00 PM »

Dorman does offer an a/c delete idler, and I know of a few people who have gone that route when the R-12 quits, it is a vert after all.

moncee

alt/wp belts
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 05:57:00 PM »

like i said in my previous posts its only the alt/wp belt that keeps smoking and i have the redsigned pully on the alt so i will try the heavy duty lawn mower belt and see what happens
   thanks for all the help so far

rcdraco

alt/wp belts
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 02:02:00 AM »

I would still watch the tension, I know some people on here are afraid of it being too loose, but if it's overtightened you'll stress the belt.

Another suggestion could be if the alternator WAS a correct fit, is to look for a pulley off a capri at the junkyard, it could be yours is misaligned if the alternator was replaced with a correct fit unit.