TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: it stalled / died ...  (Read 6401 times)

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
it stalled / died ...
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2012, 04:08:00 AM »

Coils rarely (if ever) fail intermittently. The stock coil is a pretty good unit.

Either you've got a broken wire or the distributor module is on its way out. They usually fail once the car warms up, and will work for a bit once everything cools down
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

gary scott

• TeamCapri Supporter
    • 1993 N/A blue / white soft / blue hard top
it stalled / died ...
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2012, 06:18:00 AM »

which module usually goes out the inside one or the outside one?
I'm leaning toward your first solution, one of those wires grounded at the water outlet. one looks a little bent and twisted. I will try to track it down to see which one it is. it goes into the wire harness.
when I turn the switch on, the check engine, battery, and brake light are lit on the instrument panel. the seat belt and airbag come on then go off.
on one attempt there was presure in the radiator for some reason.
also with the switch on there is a noise like a small fan or perhaps relay chattering, from the throttle body / input manifold area.
maybe that is normal and I just haven't noticed it before

I checked on the Capri in town last night -- down to $2900 140,xxx miles auto. looks like the top may need to be adjusted. it is looking a little better at 1/2 price Har Har.
Gary

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
it stalled / died ...
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2012, 06:26:00 AM »

That noise is the idle valve PWM motor trying to adjust the idle via the ECU (it's trying to idle the engine up since it's 0rpm, it's not very intelligent)

The module that fails is the inside module.

gary scott

• TeamCapri Supporter
it stalled / died ...
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2012, 06:45:00 AM »

I think the price at the parts store here was around $140 for that one. the instructions I seen online somewhere looked pretty simple to follow. perhaps I can persue that avenue if I have no luck with ground wire.

thanks Rocketman
Gary

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
it stalled / died ...
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2012, 06:48:00 AM »

You can find the ignitor as cheap as $40 shipped online

gary scott

• TeamCapri Supporter
it stalled / died ...
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2012, 10:46:00 AM »

okay thanks
do just do a search for 1993 mercury capri ignitor ?
Gary

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
it stalled / died ...
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2012, 01:15:00 PM »

Nope. Search on teamcapri here I have listed part #'s before, search those part #'s

It's a very common ignitor used on a whole bunch of Mazda/Fords & some mitsubishis, it's a Mitsubishi made sensor

gary scott

• TeamCapri Supporter
it stalled / died ...
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2012, 03:35:00 AM »

I got a chance to look at the Capri yesterday, pulled off distributor cap and noticed a lot of that white build up on all 4 contacts. This cap was only 2 weeks old and the car was driven 3 days before it stalled again. I'm thinking this isn't too good. perhaps this has something to do with my troubles this time. I'll try to do more electrical trouble shooting today or maybe this week to verify ignition control module is good or bad before I order a replacement.
Gary

gary scott

• TeamCapri Supporter
it stalled / died ...
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2012, 02:50:00 PM »

latest trouble-shooting update

nice day = work on Capri again. pulled off distributor cap again, looked at module inside. checked wires there and... one of them has a place where bare wires shows, it had a burnt looking spot on the dist housing. I re-arranged the wire away from the housing, put it back together, started up. ran about 2 minutes then died. I let it sit a little while and it repeated. start, run, die. i'm pretty sure this is the problem.
also, the distributor seems to be getting hot to the touch there.?.
does anyone know what the 1 single connector on the module goes to? or comes from?

I once found something which labeled the other 2 connectors -- coil(inner post) and B+(outer connector)
Gary

gary scott

• TeamCapri Supporter
it stalled / died ...
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2012, 11:56:00 AM »

Saturday  update... Car starts and runs again. Next week we'll have at least 3 days with lows in the 50s and highs will be  mid-to-high 70s.

Thanks to everyone for the help and input for where to start looking to get my Capri going again.

Gary
Gary
Pages: 1 [2]