TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: Cup holder  (Read 7168 times)

capriguyJohn

Cup holder
« on: July 21, 2011, 08:29:00 AM »

i purchased one of those single din cup holders I kno since I have a manual trans I have to move the radio to the lower bin but I noticed that the radio doesn't stay straight, do kneed to buy a kit to install it? I kno the bottom doesn't have the metal piece that holds the radio straight, any info or pics would be greatly appreciated thanks

John

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Cup holder
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 10:12:00 AM »

I can't say I've seen anyone move it down lower to put the cupholder in. Was that Jamies suggestion?
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

capriguyJohn

Cup holder
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 01:40:00 PM »

well I heard that the shifter will hit it if you put the cup holder in below the radio, maybe I am wrong?

CapriTypeR

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • http://Roo-Sport.com
Cup holder
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 02:43:00 PM »

I've heard that as well, but like Rocket, have never seen anyone do it.
Need parts?? Go to http://www.Roo-Sport.com
for the worlds largest selection
of new and used Capri parts!

tonlaw71

• Administrator
    • 1992 XR2 and a 2013 Nissan Juke
Cup holder
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 03:07:00 PM »

I moved my radio down to the bottom slot when I installed the cup holder. There would have been no way to have anything in the holder if it was in the bottom slot. I tried. Only prob with putting the holder in the top slot was that you had to bend the back of your can to get it to fit in front of the cross piece on the bezel. My radio fit fine in the bottom slot with no install kit of any kind. YMMV
///Tony aka Bubba Gumpshrimp\\\

///'92 Plasti-Dipped XR2\\\

capriguyJohn

Cup holder
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 06:42:00 PM »

Ok lol good to kno guess I'll have to mess with it more this weekend when it's cooler and I'm off work thanks

Captain

• http://www.cardomain.com/id/capritain
Cup holder
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2011, 10:19:00 AM »

I had the same question earlier.

If your radio has the mounting sleeve or cage the radio should be ok and secure.
That's what I did. As for the cup holder I bought on ebay I had to fabricated a little with some sheet metal.
It's actually sturdy.  I just need to move it out a little because I mount it too flush with the console.

91 Mercury Capri
Capritain @ Cardomain.com

grantduffield

• TeamCapri Supporter
    • 1991 Capri (automatic)
This is a very complicated case (car), a lot of ins, a lot of outs, a lot of what-have-yous.

mitch1204

• 1991 Mercury Capri NA Auto/ 1994 Mercury Capri NA
Re: Cup holder
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2014, 12:47:20 PM »

Grant I noticed you have the upholstery in the lower slot. Does it interfere with the shifter? Do you only use it while in Drive?

I'd like mine to be in the lower slot. I wonder if the shifter handle could be shortened so it can be used while in Park? It looks like a possibility plus a shorter shifter would look cool.

grantduffield

• TeamCapri Supporter
    • 1991 Capri (automatic)
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2014, 12:08:02 PM »

I like the "short shifter" idea.  That would definitely look cool.  Difficult to do, you think?  there is a dead automatic in a local yard down here.  I may go pull the shifter and mess around with that idea over the next few days.   

The cupholder in the lower slot is of no use except when the car is in "drive".  A styrofoam cup of co-cola and a momentary lapse of attention creates a fine PITA. 

One of the things that worked out nicely for me was that i took a piece of black plastic and cut out a "faceplate" to slide in between the cupholder unit and the din slot.  cleans up the amateur retro-fit look. 
This is a very complicated case (car), a lot of ins, a lot of outs, a lot of what-have-yous.

Capritain

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2014, 09:47:31 PM »

Here's something I had in mine but haven't had time to work on it yet.
By doing this, the shifter will surely be shorter.

91 CAPRAI N/A 5-Speed
D-town, Iowa

mitch1204

• 1991 Mercury Capri NA Auto/ 1994 Mercury Capri NA
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2015, 05:40:19 PM »

I checked out the idea of the short auto shifter. It is do-able. The top is threaded and a push rod runs down the middle. You would have to disassemble it, cut the the outside pipe to length and re-thread the top. Then the push rod you would have to shorten the same as the pipe.

I think I'll try it once I get my hands on a cup holder.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 05:42:04 PM by mitch1204 »