TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: code 88  (Read 2874 times)

Xr2oldman

• 86 GLHS
code 88
« on: May 27, 2016, 06:59:46 PM »

where is the variable voltage choke relay? The car starts and purrs for about ten seconds then starts to run bad and seems to flood out and die. cant find this info anywhere. i thought i could find it easy but i cant find anything using the search bar on here.

Xr2oldman

• 86 GLHS
Re: code 88
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 08:38:23 AM »

The car doesn't die now. Took it up and down the street a few times to see if it cleared up but it is missing really bad and seems like its flooded. Did some poking around under the hood and i think i know what everything is but the vvc. Im starting to think that its apart of something else. For example the vvc might be inside the idle control motor. Or maybe it is a ford terminology that im not familiar with and the vvc is the idle control. 

Xr2oldman

• 86 GLHS
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 08:56:19 AM »

code 88 also says Ignition Diagnostic Monitor/Dual Plug Ignition or spout circuit fault - Ignition Systems. It could be a ignition timing issue. If the timing was off then i could see this being the problem. It purrs at idle but you cant drive it. Also i noticed once it was up to temp that the exhaust smelled ok.(not to rich)

How does a 91 xr2 know engine position for spark timing?
« Last Edit: May 28, 2016, 09:03:59 AM by Xr2oldman »

NomakeWan

• 93 Capri XR2
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 04:02:20 PM »

Spark timing is adjusted by moving the distributor one way or the other. You'll want a timing light to check the marks on the crank pulley for this. You'll also want to note that if your harmonic balancer is bad, then your timing will seem to 'drift' even though that's impossible when looking at the marks with a timing light. Us Californians with our smog checks have a real problem with that as the tech will fail you for improper timing even if the timing is correct.

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2016, 04:57:39 PM »

The Capri doesn’t have VVC and our cars use OBD 1, so there’s no code 88.
You might have a code 8, which is a VAF Signal issue.

I would try undoing and cleaning the electrical connector going to the VAF locate on top of the airbox.

Xr2oldman

• 86 GLHS
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2016, 06:49:54 PM »

thanks. The plug has been messed with before. Looks like the unit has been removed from the airbox and rtv was used to hold it in. i hope a good cleaning will do. might have to replace it

SHOwn

• 91 XR2
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2016, 02:07:37 PM »

Do be careful with the MAF sensor. They make a special cleaner for that. There are certain metals used in those and coatings, so you can't just scrub those with Gunk Engine Brite. You can look up more advice online on how to clean an MAF.
R. Powell
'91 XR2, LM 16" Chrome Drifters, White Gauge Faces, Kuhmo 40's, Big Brake UG, 2.5" Mandrel Bent CATback, BMW318 Heated Seats, `94 console, '99 Dodge Neon Spoiler, '94 XR2 Sideskirts Bumpers and taillights, Fresh Basecoat-Clearcoat Cardinal Red (Jul2014), vj11/vj14 hybrid, manual boost CTL.

Xr2oldman

• 86 GLHS
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2016, 07:18:16 PM »

I found that the wires inside the VAF were broken and only touching for contact. Someone had taken the two screws out from the plug and yanked the plug free from the circuit board. idiots  :o It was probably done during an air cleaner change. Who knows the history of this poor car but i got what was left soldered back to the board. 2 of the three wires are like new but that third one needed improvising.