TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: convertible top replacement  (Read 5623 times)

deewoody

• 1993 Capri XR2
convertible top replacement
« on: January 24, 2016, 09:25:59 AM »

Hello Fellow Capri owners,
i was wondering about a specific item , and i knew where to turn for the right answers.
I found a convertible top on a '91 Capri at a you pull it yard near me, that is in very good shape, compared to my ripped up existing top.  Assuming it will be an exact fit, i was wondering about removing the top assembly intact ?  Is it possible to go directly to the hinge mechanism behind the rear seats, and remove the bolts holding the hinge in place? That would be so cool to be able to remove the whole top intact, and bolt it directly to my XR-2. 
Anyone ever do that before?   

greywolf27030

• Old-Timer
    • 1991 XR2, 1992 XR2, 1993 XR2
Re: convertible top replacement
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 11:42:12 AM »

Great find, I can't even find a Capri in any kind of yard around here.  There are two different tops, an early and a  late.  You'll need to get with someone like Russ to determine which you have and which is on the donor.  Changing frame and all might mean it doesn't matter.  Good luck with it.

Jack Byrd
Jack Byrd

mitch1204

• 1991 Mercury Capri NA Auto/ 1994 Mercury Capri NA
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 09:16:34 PM »

A '91 won't fit a '93. The change over was somewhere in '92. Something to do with the window length there was a couple inches difference. You can pretend to order a new top online and you'll see the details. I think I bought mine at topsonline dot com. One is like 23.xx inches while the newer top is 25.xx inches on the window length.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 09:23:02 PM by mitch1204 »

Chicken

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 07:16:12 PM »

Yes. Changing the whole hinged convertible frame and material as a complete assembly will work. You will also want the rubber pieces of the assembly along where it meets the glass edges of the driver and passenger windows.

If you heard it from an automotive forum, get a second, and third opinion.

mitch1204

• 1991 Mercury Capri NA Auto/ 1994 Mercury Capri NA
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2016, 11:48:17 PM »

I guess to can. I went back and read it. It's all in the side cables.

Capri Convertible Top variations:
There were essentially no changes to the Mercury Capri convertible top (Mercury Capri soft top)during these years. However there were two differing lengths for the soft top Capri hold down cables. Cables hold the sides of the top to the frame. Capri convertible top cables were slightly lengthened in 1992. Restorers can determine the cable length by measuring the side seam if the original soft convertible top is now on the car. Otherwise (if a prior replacement convertible top is on the Capri) you can measure the cable by "feel."

blueamber

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 01:41:23 AM »

Changing out the top with the frame will work every time, I've done it before.  Three bolts on each side, just loosen the bolt that is in the slotted hole (you'll see).  When you drop in the frame use those bolts to hold up the frame, then add the other four...

deewoody

• 1993 Capri XR2
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 07:14:31 AM »

fellas... thank you so much for the input. I do feel very fortunate that there is a capri in the junk yard. Im assuming its still there, since i last was there (5 days ago). I hope so !  ill keep you all informed of my progress.
Have a great day guys !