TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: Fluid for Manual Trans  (Read 2256 times)

XR2Man

• 1991 Mercury Capri XR2
Fluid for Manual Trans
« on: August 28, 2015, 10:51:56 AM »

I am going to check the fluid level in the manual 5 speed in my 1991 XR2. The Capri owner's guide says to use Mercon. Went to the auto parts store and they carry Mercon 1,2,3,4 & 5. So which one should I use if I have to add to the fluid?

WILLIE JENKINS

• 1991 Mercury Capri
Re: Fluid for Manual Trans
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 11:40:59 AM »

according to ADVANCE COMMERCIAL:
for TURBO ONLY
6.8Pints

MERCONŽ V ATF OR EQUIVALENT, I recommend Castrol transmax mercon V
this stuff is thin, not thick

or for a NA
1.6L Eng, wo/Turbo

6.8Pints

75W-90 API SERVICE GL-5, go with Valvoline, or royal purple. this stuff should stay in there for a really long time and smells BAD and is extreme thickness. (syrupy)

mitch1204

• 1991 Mercury Capri NA Auto/ 1994 Mercury Capri NA
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 12:25:24 PM »

Originally it was Dex/Merc then Ford come out with a technical service bulletin to use Mercon V after it was developed.

Alternately people used 75W90 which works well.

Here's a thread on various thoughts.

http://teamcapri.com/forum/index.php/topic,2905.0.html

To add I wouldn't use the 75W90 in a cold weather climate as it is thicker and shifting might be noticeably stiffer until it warms up. Down south it shouldn't matter. Mercon V has a broader temperature range.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 12:33:12 PM by mitch1204 »

Joe M

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 10:02:12 PM »

Redline makes a synthetic Mercon ATF that is also GL-5 rated - a combination that isn't all that common. I ended up going with that three years ago.  I have no complaints.  ATF is lower viscosity than heavy gear oil, so less parasitic losses, especially when cold.