TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: exhaust system....  (Read 6739 times)

Benno77

exhaust system....
« on: August 31, 2009, 12:49:00 AM »

OK am planning on gettting a full exhaust,  extractors to the muff. Was wondering what was the best diametre. I have a 91 capri N/A. am thinkin 2.25' or so  but not sure.

Benno77

exhaust system....
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 12:52:00 AM »

Also as side note, am probably getting a 100 or 200 cell performance hi-flow cat. Probably magnaflow.

rcicustoms

• Old-Timer
    • http://google
exhaust system....
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 01:05:00 AM »

2.25 is plenty to free up power.. and will keep things more stock... i run a 2.5 but i also run a bigger turbo and no muffler.. or cat for that matter... but i can get away with it here in kentucky... some places are stifflers about that stuff...Joe

220hp@18psi

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
exhaust system....
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 09:50:00 AM »

2.25" should work good for N/A especially if you are still going to run a cat.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

blue93

exhaust system....
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2009, 11:14:00 AM »

Okay, while we're on this subject,  I've got everything but the CAI hooked up on my NA and I think I'm ready to see what I can get out of it.

From the top:  4-2-1 steel header, flex connector, 2.25" exhaust, Flowmaster Delta muffler, high flow cat, and monza dual exhaust tips for flavor.

Without running the CAI anywhere but directly off the air box, what is the setup that everyone uses to get the CAI head to fit?

I assume I have to put a hole on the left side of the air module with the "Motorcraft" decal on it and run it out from there.  I was going to shorten the hose on the right side of the airbox and/or relocate the anti-freeze filler.

At some point, I plan to fabricate an all-metal tube setup directly from the throttle body and get it closer to the ground or out the fender well, but for now, I just want to get some air in there and see what it does.  Anybody got a pic of the hookup at the air box?

Thanks.

Mark
Stratosphere Blue '93 NA 6 cyl 5sp
Dynamic White '94 XR2
Red '90 LeBaron GT Vert 6cyl 5sp FOR SALE!!!
Frosty White '06 Vibe 5sp
Mark
Stratosphere Blue \\\'93 NA 5sp
Dynamic White \\\'94 XR2
Camellia Red Pearl \\\'10 Subaru Forester 5sp

Benno77

exhaust system....
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 11:46:00 AM »

ok cheers guys

blue93

exhaust system....
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 12:00:00 PM »

I think I may have answered some of my own questions at this point, but I'd still like to see what others have done at the air box connection.  Thanks

Mark
Stratosphere Blue '93 NA 5sp
Dynamic White '94 XR2
Red '90 LeBaron GT Vert 6cyl 5sp FOR SALE!!!
Mark
Dynamic White \\\'94 XR2

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
exhaust system....
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 01:51:00 PM »

go 2.5 and get a glasspack instead of a muffler...
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1990 240sx (SR20DET Swapped)
1992 240sx Convertible

rcicustoms

• Old-Timer
    • http://google
exhaust system....
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 02:05:00 PM »

no, no, gost. hes running an n/a car man... your gonna completely kill that little things torque...we got a turbo building more back pressure than we need already so we do that and it makes our shit fly but if you do that on an na car your gonna make a honda...LOL

220hp@18psi

blue93

exhaust system....
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 03:25:00 PM »

Yeah, that wasn't exactly what I had in mind.  I've got it sounding like a british sports car now and I want to keep it that way.  It's throaty - no insect noises, just an occaisional header crackle when you step in it.  

I've done all the opening of the bottom that I need.  Now I just need to open up the top and get some flow.

Mark
Dynamic White '94 XR2
Radiant Red '90 LeBaron GT Vert 6cyl 5sp
FOR SALE NOW!!!
Mark
Dynamic White \\\'94 XR2

Benno77

exhaust system....
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2009, 07:47:00 PM »

what did u wont to see Blue?? the airintake? or the filter box??

blue93

exhaust system....
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2009, 11:48:00 PM »

Hello Benno77!

I just really wanted to see the setup and how you made it fit under the hood: the connection at the box, the shorted tube befor the box and what you moved at the head end to make it lay in there.  Thanks.

Mark
Dynamic White '94 XR2
FOR SALE NOW!!!
Mark
Dynamic White \\\'94 XR2

Benno77

exhaust system....
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2009, 03:36:00 PM »

if u have a n/a its like mine and its a peice of cake.... first u have to scrap the air box, i'm guessin u new this already. from the throttle body you will need a peice of the hi temp intake joiner as i think our throttle body is 2' and i have 3' tubing on my CAI so i had to get a 3-2' reducer for it. you will need intake tubing bent at a angle i got mine costom done on a 135/145 degree (from memory) to the right so its bending towards the airbox direction, and long enought so it hags over the tappet cover an inch,(u can pic up peices from ur local part shop relitivly cheeper that may be right shape and size)you will also need to drill two holes in it. one on either side for the vacume hoses. you can pic up a vacum hose plug and drill set of the net, the unerversal one worked perfect on mine. I also got some little rubber wedges also to hold the tube above the tappet cover. from there u can either continue buying wierd shapes and angles of intake tubing to get to the Vaf or you can buy a piece of this bendable tube stuff (lol sorry i cant be more descriptive its kind of a thermo set plastic with metal rings runnin around the outside so u can bend it and strech and shorten it into what ever shape and size u need i piced it up at auto barn for $60 and never looked back). sadly unless ur goin to move the radiator hosing and some other stuff the only way i found ( well easy way, and way it would fit so bonnet would close LOL ONE DINT LATER) was to run the CAI tubing straight down parst the extractors. this probably isnt ideal but as i have the heating sheilds still in place and two electric fans infront of the radiator i justified this.... fromm there u need another peice of joiner from the tube to the Vaf then the new pod or cold air filter can just plug on to the other end of the vaf.

Hope this helps. I did this over a year ago and was the first real performance/ mechanical thing i ever did to my capri, the whole time i was doin it i was learning new stuff. I can send u some pics if u like or just go to http://www.cardomain.com and search me for a few pics there.

ben  

blue93

exhaust system....
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2009, 04:14:00 PM »

Hey Ben -

That's about the simplest explanation I've had on CAI theory.  I knew I was gonna figure it out sooner or later.  The last car I did this much performance work to was a '71 Chevy Nova, so this is a little different.  I'll take your advice and check out your pics.  Thanks.

Mark
Dynamic White '94 XR2
FOR SALE NOW!!!
Mark
Dynamic White \\\'94 XR2

Benno77

exhaust system....
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2009, 04:43:00 PM »

To easy mate, the whole time i was doin mine i was searchin the net and sadly the capri isnt a car that many people have and do this kind of thing to. glad i can help. i have just thrown a heap of pics up on cardomain for you. few better and closer ones. will take a sec to upload but will be there......
Pages: [1] 2