TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: Front marker lights?  (Read 4502 times)

Grimsleeper

• 1991 Capri XR2
Front marker lights?
« on: February 12, 2015, 08:17:34 AM »

Has anyone ever thought about rewiring the front marker lights so that the factory turn signal is actually the parking\running light and the little corner light on the front is the turn signal?  I was just looking at the aesthetics of the front and it seems like that would be a more natural configuration.  Certainly much more pleasing to the eye with the lights on.

Any thoughts on this or has anyone already done it?

blueamber

Re: Front marker lights?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 03:24:21 PM »

Seems like you would have a turn signal that no one could see from the front, and no side marker that a cop could gripe with you about... Only thing I've ever done is to add two more tail light bulbs to the 91 to 93 style tail-lights, its different and you can be seen a little better at night...

mitch1204

• 1991 Mercury Capri NA Auto/ 1994 Mercury Capri NA
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 07:59:38 PM »

I haven't given it much thought until now, lol. How about changing the side marker lens to a clear lens that's available. Use an amber bulb and leave it a parking light as it's one of them small bulbs. Then modify the turn signal to a two contact 1157A? bulb.
Then the little white light change to amber. That would almost give you a wrap around amber parking light. All except that dead space reflector in the corners. It would be cool to add a bulb there if you could.

Where do you add the bulbs blueamber? I thought about that one. Do you drill it out and improvise? Or did you swap with a 93?

chrispoe

• 91 BP Capri GT
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 09:16:23 PM »

I did the tail lights on mine by drilling/knocking out the back and adding some universal bulb sockets from the auto parts store.

grantduffield

• TeamCapri Supporter
    • 1991 Capri (automatic)
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2015, 02:56:07 PM »

I tied in the fog lamps to the side marker/parking lights. 
This is a very complicated case (car), a lot of ins, a lot of outs, a lot of what-have-yous.

mitch1204

• 1991 Mercury Capri NA Auto/ 1994 Mercury Capri NA
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2015, 01:52:54 AM »

I tied in the fog lamps to the side marker/parking lights.

Not that anyone cares, lol, more FYI. Many cops are ignorant to the fact that could get you a ticket or a reason to be pulled over by the wrong cop or you might have a better chance getting hit by lightning, lol. The NHTSA and the FMVSS say foglights have to shut off automatically when the highbeams are turned on. That's accomplished through the fog light switch, multifunction switch and relay circuit.

About the only ones they catch are the DOT pulling full inspections on truckers. I use to work in safety and had to know all the FMVSS.

blueamber

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2015, 08:55:16 PM »

Lots of anal cops out there... my wife was driving home one night, a car zoomed up on her ass, tailgating like crazy, high beams on, The wife freaked out and sped up to get away from the idiot driver, who then turned on his police cruiser lights and pulled her over claiming her tag light was out and that she also started speeding... Seems broken tag lights aren't a moving violation (he couldn't pull her over for that) but encouraging her to speed by acting like a crazed tailgater allowed him to pull her over... lots of good cops, more than a few bad ones...

Grimsleeper

• 1991 Capri XR2
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2015, 10:05:45 PM »

I did the tail lights on mine by drilling/knocking out the back and adding some universal bulb sockets from the auto parts store.

That's kind of what I had in mind.  I was thinking about having, as you suggested, more of a wrap around marker/parking light and using the little amber light in the corner as the turn signal.  That giant clear turn signal just looks retarded.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2015, 02:13:05 AM »

I'd like to mess around with some LEDs on them. With some dremel work and new dividers behind the lense you could do some pretty cool stuff
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"