TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: Where does the Grounding Wire Feed From?  (Read 3775 times)

DashingDaryl

Where does the Grounding Wire Feed From?
« on: June 03, 2010, 08:41:00 AM »

My Oil pressure reads low, so I did a search and came up with this...

"If your oil pressure reads low or varies, it is probably due to a poor engine ground. The ground wire for the engine gauges is located on the RH (passenger side) rear of the shock tower."

In a sense this is what is wrong with my car. When I checked the ground wire, the end was attached by the shock tower, but the feed was not attached to anything?

WHERE DOES THE FEED COME FROM? Is it a cluster ground? An Engine Ground? Where do I attach it?

Any help would be appreciated.

Daryl

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 01:21:00 PM »

I've heard that before, sounds like a beefy bit of mis-information. The engine has a half dozen grounds on it, fixing just a single ground is not going to fix a problem, nor is one single ground going to cause a problem. They're redundant to distribute loads and provide a factor of safety.

The ground at the shock tower is connected to a bolt on the head, if you want to re-connect it.

The oil pressure sender has two connections to it - just one wire in the back that goes to the gauges - and the block acts as a ground for the sensor. A lot of times the spade terminal on the back of the sensor becomes corroded and causes gauge issues.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

DashingDaryl

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 06:53:00 AM »

That kind of makes sense, since I really shouldn't have gotten any reading if my ground wire wasn't connected.

Thanks for the info

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2010, 12:02:00 PM »

when i had my 1st capri..i kept taking it back for oil pressure indication problems, they would change the sender and gauges and never work, finally they installed the gauge that has the actual reading on it instead of the H/L and it worked since. on my 2nd capri i had the gauge cluster with actual numbers on it and no problems. All the people that i know who have that problem have the H/L gauge...just a thought
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1990 240sx (SR20DET Swapped)
1992 240sx Convertible

DashingDaryl

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 06:59:00 AM »

A good thought it is. My guage does have numbers on it, and seems to be working fine. I guess I am just amazed how low the oil pressure is. Sometimes it makes it to the middle (60?) but usually it is right at the first line.

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 05:07:00 PM »

call penny pincher...napa and autozone might have it too..they had the shifter bushings
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1990 240sx (SR20DET Swapped)
1992 240sx Convertible